Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post, and I'm not as experienced when it comes o engine performance so if you could just bare with me because everyone has to start somewhere....

I'm wanting to build my 86 Mustang 5.0. Mass Air & AOD conversion...373 gear, stock headers to flow master 44 duals (with cats). Pretty much a stock mustang. I've been saving up, and I've finally got enough money to start buying some stuff. My question is, what should my set up be to have a 300hp-ish car, but keep in mind it is my daily driver and will hardly see te track (just a little street fun). I'm talking about what cam, intake, heads, etc. I'd rather not flycut my pistons but it seems like you have to because of the flattops in the 86. I don't want to spray, and don't have the money for forces induction, so, if you could, give me some ideas. Like I said, 300ish is all I want.

Let me know y'all's ideas!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
As I was reading I was thinking spray would be the cheapest untill I seen you don't want it, trick flow top end kits probablly the best advice if it's in your budget

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the tf top end kit..a little out of my budget. I'm buying piece by piece. Starting with a cam...then intake...heads...etc. I was thinking of the cobra upper and lower...what do you think about that? And what kind of cam? People have been telling me not to use the ford letter cams.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
^^^ x3. Will get you 300 horse, shouldn't have to touch the pistons (even the 86 ones), but you need to double check anyway. Follow that up with a 70mm TB, mass air calibrated for 24's and at least 70mm in size, and some 24lb injectors. Full exhaust, electric fan, March Power and Amp series underdrive pullies, and higher output coil will help tie it all in together. A dyno tune won't be necessary, but will get you the best driveablility and power out of it when you are done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably a dumb questions...but how do you calibrate it? And what's the under drive pullies for? So you're saying use the cobra intake?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Cobra intake, or Explorer intake (since it's the same internally, just cheaper) will be fine for your goals. Trickflow stage 1 cam is a good overall cam that will meet your goals as well. Get all the supporting stuff done for when you do get some cash for heads. Exhaust from front to back, longtubes preferred, but shorty's if you want. 1 5/8 primary will work just fine for your cfm. 2 1/2 h or x and Catback to match. The pulley's that I suggested will keep your charging level up while freeing up a few ponies, and they're cheap to boot. A better coil will net you about 40 bucks and insure you fire it all off.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
You don't calibrate it, you either buy one that is, or send yours in. If yours is stock size, then I wouldn't waste money on it. You won't need it and the injectors until you do heads anyway

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Like these guys are saying its all in the combo. But for 300rwhp you pretty much need aluminum heads.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I believe he's saying save up and buy the tf kit. You buy the Maf calibrated for the 24 injectors try Pro M. Power cost cash it's just the cold hard facts lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, I'm a "noob". Why the electric fan? And is there really any difference between the gt40 and cobra? & what so you mean charging level? Will I be using more power than normally?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, I understand now. I'm honestly not sure what kind of maf intake I have...it seems as if it would be the stock one that would come on an 87 to 93. I've heard they if you do use a combo you should stick with particularly one brand instead of mixing it up..

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
With the 373 gears, its " fun" already foe the street. If you do a cam, you are going through the intake anyway.

I'd say, save up for a kit ( either put together for you like TF, or pit together yourself) but keep in mind, these parts need to work together.

Also, the lower intake is your biggest restriction right now.

One of the cheapest top end setups is explorer heads, gt40/cobra intake, get those gasket matched and ported. And get a cam to match. Don't get a B cam. Plenty of better ones out there.

What's your budget?

Sent by carrier pigeon

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
No, there's really no difference between them. Charging level refers to the alternator output. Stock alternators suck already, so you don't want to help it to the grave. I used those pullies with a Flexilite black magic fan (which of course adds draw to the electrical system, but the lights would dim a little when the fan came on at night. During the day, it was fine. A 3G alternator upgrade is a good idea too, and relatively cheap. It's an alternator off a 94-up that is easily adaptable to our cars. Just google it or look on ebay. Just make sure to get a wiring kit to make it easy on yourself. They are all over ebay as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ok, I'm thinking trick flow top end, coil and wires, electric fan, 24lb injectors with matching Pro M maf, and so shorties to match the rest of your exhaust. I'd also address gears, recommend 3.55 or 3.73 for street car and put subframe connectors and so rear control arms, I know this stuff don't make power but it will help your actually get the new power you make with your motor upgrades to the ground along with a decent set of tires out back, like I said its gonna take money so take your time save up and do it right the first time it's all the fun of foxes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still have the e6s!! And my budget is limited as I'm still in school, yet I do realize ill be spending money, trust me! I'm just saying the tf top end kit is a little too expensive...which is why I was thinking of the gt40 or cobra..& what do you mean about matching and porting when it comes to the intake. What other cams do you suggest? I realized the tfs1 cam is a midrange cam.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Check this and other forum classifieds for deals

1 - 20 of 25 Posts