Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need any advise from anyone about launching at the strip. I have never done it and don't even really know how it all works. How do I heat the tires up with a 5 speed and no line lock (yet) or do I heat them at all? What about gas in the tank.. should I run it low or would that make a difference? Staging tips... like I said this is gonna be my first time to drag.
The thing I realy need the most is how to launch a SCed 5 speed

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
If you have a street tire, you just want to pop the clutch and spin them to get the rocks off. I run 1/4 tank in my car or less, and staging just slowly go to the line and when the second blub flashes stop. And also, with the 5 speed and a KB on street tires your going to want to launch at about idle and then romp on it from there.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
If you have a street tire, you just want to pop the clutch and spin them to get the rocks off. I run 1/4 tank in my car or less, and staging just slowly go to the line and when the second blub flashes stop. And also, with the 5 speed and a KB on street tires your going to want to launch at about idle and then romp on it from there.

+1 You are gonna have to find a good clutch slipping technique to net the fastest launch. Its a combination of clutch slipping and pedaling the throttle. It will take time man, just practice practice, you will get it. Just remember to have fun with it, try launching at different RPMs and different clutch release speeds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your going to get your best time by leaving the line just like you would on the street at a stop light (idle) then get after it because that KB is going to wind up and bust the tires loose. Dont go through the water go around it. Just like mustang matt said spin the rocks off heating street tires up doesnt make a difference.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am actually running these....

I just got them.. I have some 17x9 on the way but for now they are on 17x8. Just a little puffy. I can really tell they are on there,all grip and no cornering.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run the 20's on the street in the good months.... have a set of 17" stockers for winter and 2 17x9 stockers on the way for the DR's

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
1st trip

make shure you have snell aproved helmet & driveshaft loop dont want to get sent home before you even get started

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I am actually running these....

I just got them.. I have some 17x9 on the way but for now they are on 17x8. Just a little puffy. I can really tell they are on there,all grip and no cornering.

you're gonna have to tell us how you like those... they are so damn cheap!

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
+1 ive never seem those before^

let your car cool down after your runs.... even if its just in line pop ur hood to let that heat out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those radials hook real good on a 2000 gt I have gone as fst as 11.30's on them with 1.70's sixty foot

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn't get them to hook but I am pretty sure I was the problem not the tires... I stayed below 13 most of the day and spun so much the PA guy was giving me a bunch of crap every time I got to the line... But I caught alot of them before the finish line so all I need to do is figure out how to launch...this is why I am here..

·
Registered
559 Posts
what pressure are you running?

did you do a hard burnout to break them in?
how much of a burnout are you doing?

12-14 psi is probably where u need to be on pressure
gotta burn them 3-5 seconds @ 50 mph to get them hot and sticky

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Manual transmission shifting help.

I'll pass along what I have learned over a few years.

Before 10 people say it after I post this, let me say as a warning that all these methods are for racing, not day to day driving, and yes, they are hard on your car. It's hard on the clutch, the transmission, the rear end, U joints, and the engine. And that's assuming you don't blow a shift, which can be catastrophic.

Launching.

Okay. The first thing in racing is the launch. This depends greatly on your car & how much power it makes, what gears you have, what tires you have, and how sticky the track is. Atmospheric conditions also play a part in how your car runs. So even when you find your car's sweet spot, what worked one week for you may need adjusting another week or at another track.

The best launch is one where there is no wheel spin. Wheel spin = less forward movement. Try dropping your clutch at 2500 rpm. If the engine bogs down, you need a higher rpm launch. If you light the tires up, you need a lower rpm launch. Work your way up and down in 100 rpm increments until you find your car's sweet spot.
Sometimes, particularly in cars with lots of power, or in cars with an open differential (non-posi), or on a shitty track surface, you find that no matter where you dump the clutch, you spin the tires too much. In this case, sometimes you have to sidestep, or slip the clutch on the launch. This means slowly letting the clutch out as you roll on to the throttle to launch as hard as you can but without spinning the tires.

Shifting.

The best result for racing is power shifting. It sounds easy in principle, but it takes concentration, as a blown shift can be disastrous, especially if you are running a car with no rev limiter.

To perform a power shift, you keep your right foot on the accelerator pedal during the shift. When it's time to shift, keep the accelerator wide open. With your left foot, you stab the clutch in one quick motion, down and up, moving the shifter to the next gear as your leg is descending & disengaging the clutch. The clutch is only disengaged for a split second, just enough for you to ram it in to the next gear.

How do you know at what rpm to make the power shift? Again, this depends on the car. The reason you power shift is the quicker shift helps keep the rpm up higher where the power is. So this is also a trial & error thing, and takes you getting to know your car. If you are driving a typical Mustang GT that makes it's peak horsepower around 5700 rpm, stab the clutch right at 5700 rpm. Pay attention. If you do it right, the rpm should jump up just shy of your rev limiter, and then when the clutch re-engages, your rpm will still be right where all the horsepower is. Sometimes you're better off making the shift a little sooner in the rpm range, sometimes a little higher. If you bounce it off the rev limiter, you've made the shift too late, or at too high an rpm. You have to work at it until you get the best result for your car.

p.s. breaking **** is cool. :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
You're boosted so everything is going to take an extra beating. :cool:

That shifting technique works well. Just never remove the damn rev limiter - I can't count how many times I missed a shift learning. It's all about being comfortable with your car first.

For the launch: I prefer to slip the clutch out on launch as I don't have the cash to fix driveline parts on a street car even though it's starting to be set more for the strip. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts