Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 99 cobra that had white stripes. one of the previous owners removed the stripes but he didn't do it right because now there's a thin, transparent white where the stripes use to be. its really bad right above my windshield and below it. I was told buffing might do it but I don't think it will? any input? thanks.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
:) Once Shook, Vader, ModdedMach and those guys see this, I'm sure they'll give you the right advice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good because those stripes really piss me off:computer: lol. It would look so clean if it didn't have those.

Reactions: RunninOn6

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Were gonna need pics to see if there is still clearcoat there. If there is clearcoat you will probably be able to polish out the marks or "haze" that was left upon removal.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
When I have to deal with removing factory "sticker" pin stripes on a old car I use Cratex, on a dremel, or air tool. You can do it by hand or possibly stick a circular stick, in a drill. Take your time because you can possibly damage your paint. Works great for your application.

·
Registered
680 Posts
After I removed the decals from my car from Rally Dixie 2012 I took the following steps and there were no remaining marks. Prior to taking these steps there were a ton of marks, but granted my decals were on only about 8 - 10 weeks.

Most of what's below I copied from a thread I made on another site so some references may be wonky (dates, weather, etc.). Hope it helps.

Wash - Meguires Ultimate Wash/Wax -or- Mothers California Gold Carnuba Wash and Wax
Clay - Meguires Clay Kit -or- Mothers California Clay Bar System
Swirl Repair - Meguires Medium Cut Cleaner #1, Swirl Free Polish #82, Machine Glaze #3
Buff - Meguires Show Car Glaze #7
Sealant - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Wax - Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Car Wax
QD - Mothers California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer -or- Meguires Ultimate Quik Detailer
Wheels & Tires - Meguires All Wheel Cleaner & Meguires Gold Class High Endurance Tire Gel
Windows - Stoner Invisible Glass
Trim - Mothers Back-to-Black

My brother and I just participated in "Rally Dixie 2012" (rallynorthamerica.com , The Real Deal Brazil: Real Deal Brazil Rides Along in Rally Dixie 2012) which for my car meant approximately 2100 miles over the course of about 5 days and also having decals plastered all over my car.

Decals on the car at Talladega, a stop on the rally

I removed all the decals late last week (June 28 & 29) and then washed and clayed the car the over the weekend (June 30 & July 1) and then brought it to my folks house which has a slightly larger garage than my house but more importantly my Dad has a window AC unit he can pop into place. Last night I brought all the needed stuff to my folks house and inhaled a quick dinner and started taping off the car, my Dad helped but it's still a painfully slow process.

I took a few pictures of swirls and scratches last night, I'll take more tonight before I get started to show everything taped off and give some advice on things I learned thru-out the process. I wanted to get a thread started to document the project and act as a placeholder for where the pictures will go once I've wrapped everything up.

I used a combination of masking tapes (blue, green, tan) to tape things off, the green was the stickiest so I hope that doesn't cause issues later. I also used some of the brown "rolled" paper as well as newspaper to block off larger areas such as the windows and front/rear areas. The wheels my Dad grabbed his wheel covers off his RV and they will work great, a trash bag or something similar would work good as well.

Taping, for anyone curious, is important as the various compounds will "fly" off your DA buffer no matter how careful you try to be and any plastic or rubber area will collect that over spray and be a pain in the butt to clean off later. It's the whole "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" principle going on here.

Unless you do this for a living of fairly frequently it will take alot of time to tape the car, there are a few tricks that can save some time IF you remember to do them! Some I did remember and some I didn't, a few new tricks I learned thru my Dad helping me.
1. Pop both the hood and the trunk to tape off surrounding areas, it’s far easier to go under them onto the window than do it with them closed.

2. Use this same concept for the lower door areas, do the drivers side last in case you need to get in and out for any reason. Once you tape the windows you can’t get back in without wrecking all your taping work.

3. Use rolled paper (not newspaper), for larger areas. Think about where your DA can realistically get and where it won’t be able to go and tape accordingly.

4. The spoiler area, if you have one, is a royal pain to tape. We taped each of the pedestals first then went back and used paper, when I do it again I will use paper to block off the entire area under the spoiler. That area I can do by hand later and not worry about over spray.​

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Very good write up BTR.

If it's paint fade then there isn't much you are going to do about it. . . How long were the stripes on your car for (even if it's a ballpark estimate) and where has the car been (what state/kind of weather)?

It could be a very thing layer of adhesive you could pull off with some 3m adhesive removal (got my OEM sticker adhesive on my Mach off that had been there for about 9 years). I used a plastic "razer blade" and that stuff and it pulled adhesive off like a boss.

Pics would help.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
^rep this man! Haha

:EDIT: The guy above shook! lol rep everyone!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Very good write up BTR.

If it's paint fade then there isn't much you are going to do about it. . . How long were the stripes on your car for (even if it's a ballpark estimate) and where has the car been (what state/kind of weather)?

It could be a very thing layer of adhesive you could pull off with some 3m adhesive removal (got my OEM sticker adhesive on my Mach off that had been there for about 9 years). I used a plastic "razer blade" and that stuff and it pulled adhesive off like a boss.

Pics would help.
Thanks, what you wrote about time is very true. My stuff came off fairly easy and was not into the clear or on long enough for paint fade.

+1 for pix

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dam btr...how long did that take you? I really should do that before I work on my car but it just takes too long and i get lazy :=(

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow thanks for all the info guys. I cant upload any pictures be because the car is in storage at the moment and I do not have a good pic of it up close. the bottom of my hood doesn't have any but it slowly gets whiter as you go up the hood onto the roof and I bought the car that way because I didn't even see it first. ( that's how transparent it is) but now that I noticed it that's all I see. the stripes were on the care for a least 2 years id guess and its new England weather :bash:

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
wow thanks for all the info guys. I cant upload any pictures be because the car is in storage at the moment and I do not have a good pic of it up close. the bottom of my hood doesn't have any but it slowly gets whiter as you go up the hood onto the roof and I bought the car that way because I didn't even see it first. ( that's how transparent it is) but now that I noticed it that's all I see. the stripes were on the care for a least 2 years id guess and its new England weather :bash:
I don't think 2 years should fade paint, especially in New England. It's the Sun that makes paint fade, not seasons.

It's probably just some sort of adhesive or something. Can you catch it if you run your fingernail over it?

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
:) Once Shook, Vader, ModdedMach and those guys see this, I'm sure they'll give you the right advice.
haha. i feel special.

Very good write up BTR.

Pics would help.
This^ Sounds like a thin layer of Adhesive. 3m Adhesive remover FTW. Then use Isopropal Alcohol to clean off any cleaner left over.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no I cant pick it with my finger it gets a little dry when you rub it compared to the paint though. so is adhesive dangerous to get on the paint? like if I start to use it on the stripes do I have to be very careful or is it ok to get some on the paint

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
no I cant pick it with my finger it gets a little dry when you rub it compared to the paint though. so is adhesive dangerous to get on the paint? like if I start to use it on the stripes do I have to be very careful or is it ok to get some on the paint
3m Adhesive remover shouldnt harm your existing clear coat, given that its in tact and solid.

I mean, dont leave it on there for a super long time, apply it, use it, clean it off.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok thanks im gonna try that the day it gets out of storage.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Before you try anything, post up a picture so we can see what it looks like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts