Modded Mustang Forums banner

When this project is "done," what should the next upgrade be?

• Suspension (shocks, struts, braces, sub-frame....)

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • More engine (rockers, pulleys, E-85....)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • T-56 conversion

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Built 8.8 swap

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Boost Cool or Nitrous

Votes: 8 12.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project "V6KR"

For the last 8 months I have been working on this project. To be perfectly honest I'm sick of it, I just want to drive my car! I think we all know how that goes. It has come a long way since then, but I am in need of some assistance. At some point during this project the Anti-Theft system was enabled. When I turn the key to run the theft light will flash quickly, fuel pump does not prime and the high speed cooling fan runs continuously. I have the TwEECer RT tuning system, but my laptop hard drive just crashed so I haven't had a chance to look into it. Is there anything I can do to disable this or do I need to get it to a Ford dealership?

More about the project. I had a stock 3.8, dropped in a 4.2 F150 crank and only went +0.005" on the bore. Got a deal for a set of forged pistons from Diamond for $32 each. Below the pistons are forged Eagle H-Beam rods with ARP rod bolts. On top of the short block is almost all 3.8 SC T-Bird. Heads, M90 Blower (10% OD Pulley), Intake, Plenums etc... I ported and polished the heads, blower case, intake manifold, both plenums, blower top and throttle body. I had my stock cam reground and Isky Racing Cams to 214/214 0.502"/0.502" 112. I put larger valves in the heads. I used GM 5.3L (LS4) intake and exhaust valves. Each valve is 0.100" larger, 11 grams lighter and the stems are 8mm. On top of the heads are 0.550" lift valve springs (GM LS6). Other parts: Zoom Clutch Kit, PaceSetter Long Tube Headers, Short Throw Shifter, T-Lok w/ 3.73 Gears, T5, Water to Air Intercooler Kit and much more.

Pictures:

For all the details check out:
JIMMY JAMES!! - The Mustang Life. (Official Project Site)
or
The Stang - "PROJECT V6KR": "PROJECT V6KR" : Yellow 2002 Ford Mustang : Forged 4.2L Supercharged V6 - Mankato, Minnesota

Reactions: 99 BLUE V6

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Nice setup. What retainers are you using with the 8mm valves?? I'm getting ready to drop a custom cam in mine also. I went with the yellow ls6 springs and I thought they were good for .580 lift. Even more if you use the gt retainers.
As for the pats system you may have to take the ecu to ford. Cant remember how that works.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Very clean and well built six man.

Do you have a valet parking switch up under the dash somewhere? Is it an aftermarket Anti-theft system?

·
November 08 ROTM
1,356 Posts
nice build, i just have to ask why you decided to go back to singleport instead of using your splitport?
+1. you have to use the older style heads for this to work correctly. im surprised you didnt go with the newer M112 kit.

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
You have a pats problem it uses the pcm to enable and disable the engine and a solution could be replacing the transponder in the steering column also check your fuses, someone had a the same issue and a new transponder solved his problem.....

I also have a write up don't remember if it will work for your model car I will look for it tomorrow it's too late right now and Welcome back to MM :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the props guys I cant wait to drive it!

Retainers are stock LS.

I have the TwEECer RT tuner in it which has a dial that you can program 4 tunes into, one of which being a "valet" tune if desired.

Unfortunately I did have to go back to single port for this set up. I made some blueprints for a custom lower intake to fit on the split-port heads, but at the end of the day this was way easier and to fit the M112 under the hood you have to cut a small hole all the way through it or get a custom hood which I really didn't want to do.

Anti-theft related I had the transponder replaced about a year ago, it went out and left me stranded in my driveway.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I've always thought the m-90 was the way to go with a pd blower on these cars. With the right cam and head work plus od'n it will make good numbers. Plus you can intercool it. It should be a fun car to drive.
Good luck with the tweecer. Had a friend that was tuning a turbo fox with it and had to break down and buy a sct chip because the tweecer was so complicated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always thought the m-90 was the way to go with a pd blower on these cars. With the right cam and head work plus od'n it will make good numbers. Plus you can intercool it. It should be a fun car to drive.
Good luck with the tweecer. Had a friend that was tuning a turbo fox with it and had to break down and buy a sct chip because the tweecer was so complicated.
Luckily I can get my tuning done for free :) I build racing engines for a living and we have a chassis dyno in house, so I'll let my engineer worry about that.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Luckily I can get my tuning done for free :) I build racing engines for a living and we have a chassis dyno in house, so I'll let my engineer worry about that.
<... Jealous

·
Rainbows Mechanic
1,612 Posts
if any of your three wire sensors (DPFE,TPS,etc) is bad or unplugged it will cause the car to act like a PATS system problem....i only say this cause when i went thru ford training we had a no start/no fuel "bug" on an 02 and the pats light flashes...turns out it was the DPFE was shorted out....does your odometer just read bars?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
not at all a 6er fan but that's one clean setup. what kinda #'s are you hoping for out of it? what are your goals? drag or just DD it? either way, pretty cool.

·
Registered
314 Posts
not at all a 6er fan but that's one clean setup. what kinda #'s are you hoping for out of it? what are your goals? drag or just DD it? either way, pretty cool.
yea im wandering that since so many man hours have been put in it... what route do u have for it take? Clean car tho!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if any of your three wire sensors (DPFE,TPS,etc) is bad or unplugged it will cause the car to act like a PATS system problem....i only say this cause when i went thru ford training we had a no start/no fuel "bug" on an 02 and the pats light flashes...turns out it was the DPFE was shorted out....does your odometer just read bars?
Yes, odometer is all bars, the light flashes at different rates the longer the key is on and the high speed cooling fan runs constant while KOEO. I did have the TPS and IAC unplugged the first time I keyed up because they are from the Tbird and I need to change the harness ends, but I thought of that and plugged the stock ones in and no change. I did that for all sensors I'm not using or weren't hooked up at the time except for fuel pressure sensor, forgot that one. Would EGR or EVAP be related? Obviously I'm deleting and disabling both systems.

For mustanginky I have seen similar setups make 450+HP and 400+TQ, my goal is simply 400+RWTQ. It will mainly be a DD with a few trips to the strip.

·
Rainbows Mechanic
1,612 Posts
ah ****...wish i had the pinpoint tests in front of me...almost 95% sure thats what the problem is...its some safety **** for the car that if one of the sensors is damaged or not reading then it will do that...sorry its been awhile since i was in there so im tryin to rack my brain of whatelse...hah...if you got a meter just be certain that they are all receiving the 5 volt ref and sending back a signal to the pcm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ah ****...wish i had the pinpoint tests in front of me...almost 95% sure thats what the problem is...its some safety **** for the car that if one of the sensors is damaged or not reading then it will do that...sorry its been awhile since i was in there so im tryin to rack my brain of whatelse...hah...if you got a meter just be certain that they are all receiving the 5 volt ref and sending back a signal to the pcm.
Thanks for the info man, I will give this a try when I get back to the project.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.