Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been looking at shortblocks from dss, mmr, and coast high perf, and i dont know who i should buy from. i have heard a lot of good things about mmr, and a little abot coast, but not so much about dss, and dss is the most expensive. but mmr has a layaway program that would help me out a lot. should i buy a shortblock from them, or buy all the parts for it and have it assembled elsewhere? im gonna be buying heads to have ported, an intake, cams, coils, wires, and an msd box, injectors, oil pan, oil pump, a tb, plenum, and some other stuff to build a whole new longblock, so i have a lot of stuff i need besides just the shortblock. i basically am building a whole new motor. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
now how did i know that som idiot was gonna say 5.4.. id go with the the mmr if i were u.. or let me build it:D

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is the same question I have been asking myself. Since I have a Winsor motor, most everyone builds from 03-04 Cobra Romeo blocks, and not that it is a huge problem, just a few more things I have to find to drop it in. I also kinda have been kicking around the 5.4 idea. Everytime I see a LS car I do get a little envious of thier extra cubes. As far as what company I would go with? MMR. I have heard nothing but good things about them, and they are pretty active on the mustang forums. Now I have not actually delt with them, but the general consesus is good. I really want to stay N/A with a little spray here, and there, so I always thought of a forged 5.4, or 5.0 stroker, with the new trickflow heads would be pretty fun.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
If i did not have all the parts for a 5.0 stroker already,I would have went with a 5.0 big bore.Perfect modular imo. short stoke for high rpm,large bore to unshroud the valves.

if you put a 3.750 stroker crank in it than you have a 324,still not as large as a 5.4(330) but with a much more favoritable rod angle

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
351 modular FTW

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
If i did not have all the parts for a 5.0 stroker already,I would have went with a 5.0 big bore.Perfect modular imo. short stoke for high rpm,large bore to unshroud the valves.

if you put a 3.750 stroker crank in it than you have a 324,still not as large as a 5.4(330) but with a much more favoritable rod angle
:yes

351 modular FTW
:eek:

If I could do it all again I would buy a shortblock and assemble it from there.
:yes

351 modular? how's that? do you mean winsdor(pushrod motor)?
No. MMR makes a big bore sleeved 351R from a 5.4.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
2 biggest questions to ask yourself are... 1. is there a good shop that will do the work right and whats the cost to do it. 2. Will it be done to the exact standards of the shortblock your wanting. In most cases as with the D.S.S shortblocks you get good block prep and power limits clearly posted for the shortblock you buy.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
why?? imo its not worth it really.. if u do do a 5.4 atleast do a 4v!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
im doing a 5.4 4V now
I would love to see some pics, and maybe some things you have encountered so far along the way.

I will admit I always have these ideas kicking around in my head. Would they be a pain in the ass, and be more trouble than they are worth. Maybe, but that's why we are here in this thread.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Depends how much a shop wants to assemble your shortblock. I'm going to get a stock stroke forged bottom end from CMS for $1500 and a bare block from houstonperformance for $300. My local shop only charging me $200 to bore it .020" and assemble it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Depends how much a shop wants to assemble your shortblock. I'm going to get a stock stroke forged bottom end from CMS for $1500 and a bare block from houstonperformance for $300. My local shop only charging me $200 to bore it .020" and assemble it.
thats a hell of a deal but in most cases i would say most shops aren't that fogiving with the price, get it from MMR, they are cheapest and they have a 1 year warrenty along with bad ass motors...MMR FTW...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts