Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was a good stroker kit for these cars. I've heard of VT, and I was wondering if this was a good kit. What type of hp would be reasonable. What is the biggest I can go/most power? 302...331...347?? Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
hey buddy when you see 331 or 347 they are talking about pushrod strokers. You can stroke ours to a 302 and maybe a little bit more with a big bore stroker but i think that only a 324 if i am correct. And hp just depends on what you put in it, forged or billet. billet being the stronger of the 2

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
With a 5.4 block, you can get 351 cubes, but it would be expensive as hell. If it were me, I would go with a stock stroke and 3.700" bore (302 cubes), but that is merely personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How reliable is the 302 setup? Stokers are usually less reliable from my experience.

·
Team Cobro
553 Posts
I saw something recently in MM & FF and they just stroked it to 289 and added fi. Said it was perfect for there application. I'll have to find it again.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
They only downside is the added thrust side wear on piston skirts. This is just a function of the rod/stroker ratio and applies to all motors, not just modular. I have been doing strokers since 2000 (2003 with VT) and haven't had any reliability issues. The more you have done to the motor in the way of air intake (ie ported heads,intake,etc) the better the HP results will be. It is a great way to add some much-needed torque to these motors.
+1 everyone always talks about them not being good for the motor, but like you said its only a little extra wear on the thrust side, and your never gonna see it unless your going for all out half million miles. anyways ive got a stroker, with vt heads and comp cams, and it makes 305 rwhp and 345 rwtq, but it slow compression with some mroe compression, i can see 320-330 rwhp. mine on nitrous though is where it really counts. torque out the ass

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 everyone always talks about them not being good for the motor, but like you said its only a little extra wear on the thrust side, and your never gonna see it unless your going for all out half million miles. anyways ive got a stroker, with vt heads and comp cams, and it makes 305 rwhp and 345 rwtq, but it slow compression with some mroe compression, i can see 320-330 rwhp. mine on nitrous though is where it really counts. torque out the ass
What is your best E/T? 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
yeah with the stroker and 9:2.1 compression on mine with a 150 shot made 600rwtq and that was only 900psi in the bottle. I can't imagine what it would make tq if i had my compression at the 11.5 area, with a aftermarket intake and say a 200 shot. I think it would make over 700 easy

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
My buddies VT stroker with there stage 1 cams and stage 2 heads, no bolt on besides longtubes and 11.1 compression made 338hp and 375tq at the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts