Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im thinking about getting the car stroked or throwing a super/turbo on what do you think? this is my current list of mods thank you.
1. world heads
2. victor jr intake I also have a dual plane proformer
3. Holley double pumper carb 600cfm
4. Mallory unilite distributer
5. trick flow stage 2 cam
6. crane roller lifters
7. comp. cams roller rockers
8. trick flow pushrods
9. eagle forged rods
10. Keith black pistons
11. morose 8qt. oil pan
12. morose wind age tray
13. crane digital ignition
14. 1993 front and rear suspension
15. 8.8 posi 3.73 rear-end
16. Moser 31 spline axles with c-clip eliminators
17. south side lift bar and upper control arms
18. Ford racing alum. driveshaft
19. t-5 5speed
20. Lakewood blow proof bell housing
21. center force dual friction clutch
22. prothane motor mount

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Stroker. Blow thru carb setups arent the best for drivability

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok she is more of a street car but I like to go to the track sometimes and have something that runs a good time ya know. should I go for the 331 or 347?

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
I have seen the new shorter rod combo for the 347 stroker. I noticed it takes the ringlands mostly out of the wrist pin area, but doesn't the long stroke still side load the cylinder walls and wear out an engine in about 25,000 miles? Has the industry figured some new things out? I was without a stang for many years so I have to catch up.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Many a 347 will go 100k now. Someone once had a comparison of other common engines and I'll be damned if I can remember what it was, but it was shocking that the rod angle of one said motor had more rod angle than a 347. Not a good story, I know, but just trying to make a point. The only thing you need to worry about is putting a 3.4 stroke crank in a Ford Racing Boss block because of it's shorter cylinder walls and the piston rocking more as it comes to far out of the hole. Other than that, let 'er buck!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
I have seen the new shorter rod combo for the 347 stroker. I noticed it takes the ringlands mostly out of the wrist pin area, but doesn't the long stroke still side load the cylinder walls and wear out an engine in about 25,000 miles? Has the industry figured some new things out? I was without a stang for many years so I have to catch up.

Jerry
That was a myth. Heres how it started, the original 5.0 in the 87-89 stangs had low tension oil rings, and as a result they would use about a quart of oil or more per oil change. This was changed by Ford in the 89-90 model year timeframe. When Crawford first started putting out 347 strokers, he used a race oriented low tension oil ring on the engines/kits. The engines would use a quart or two of oil between changes, so people complained just like they did about the original 5.0s. This all happened about the same time that the internet got big, and the result nearly killed a fantastic engine combo. Now, these kits come with either mid or high tension oil rings unless specified otherwise. Now a 347 uses no more oil than a 302 does in the later stangs. Just an fyi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts