Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice in the last month now, my car will fire as soon as i touch the key, then die instantly. then i will have to sit there and crank and crank and crank for it to finally fire up again. todays was bad, it wouldnt fire at all unless i hit the gas pedal a little bit. but once it starts it will idle and accelerate just fine. the weather was about 50 degrees this morning and i was parked in a garage all night.

Anyone ever had this problem? also once it started this morning it was blowing white smoke from both tail pipes for about 10 minutes?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Not sure man, check your spark first, than your fuel filter and pump. Then again, maybe it is a bad tank of gas?

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I would check the fuel filter. If not, then maybe the fuel pump is going bye bye :dunno

·
Registered
156 Posts
if it starts and dies my guess is the fuel filter or pump. turn the key to ON, not start, and go back to the gas tank and listen for a humming noise from the pump. usually when they are going bad you can hear the pump humming/buzzing and its loud enough to hear outside the car. if you dont hear anything try replacing the fuel filter but like mustang gtr 99 said be ready for a fuel bath lol, or it might be easier to have it done.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
easy to do. replaced the filter and pump in under an hour

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha yea, im not gonna have that done for me. i do all my work myself. the more i start thinking about it im wondering if maybe its the spark plugs. set at the wrong gap maybe? because that would cause it to burn different then it should, creating the white smoke. i dont know. i guess this weekend will be a good weekend to work on the ole gal.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Check your fuel pressure, It sounds like the car is starting off the bit of fuel just sittingin the rails. But the lines are low pressure, so the pump needs to crank to pressurize the lines before it will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts