Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
We all know how they work, it is about determing if you need one or not. For some cars they are a must, others not. So it's not whether they work or not, it's whether or not your car needs one.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Good video here, the Macpherson applies to us.
https://youtu.be/-S6H7ZdzBfE

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

We all know how they work, it is about determing if you need one or not. For some cars they are a must, others not. So it's not whether they work or not, it's whether or not your car needs one.
My butt dyno noticed the difference in mine.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
When I added mine I "thought" I could tell a difference. When I had to remove it for the FRPP mani, I can feel absolutely no difference. I'm not road coursing my car, so maybe that would make an actual difference.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Cool video's, thanks.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
It might make a difference, but nothing like the difference FLSFC will make.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
I think it's pretty good video how STB works. Some may think it's for looks but some may disagree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpMpi10F7rg
What a waste of an animation. It doesn't really show you anything and I suspect a large portion of the reason for that is because the words aren't in English.

Here are the "facts" about a 2 point strut bar.

1.) If your strut towers are flexible, at all, to move under cornering then a 2 point bar is going to move the towers in the same direction. It will NOT keep one from moving and not the other. Think of a cardboard box with both ends open laying on it side. How easy is it to push the cardboard box over? That is all you are doing with a 2 point brace. If one tower moves, they both move in the same direction which doesn't improve stiffness at all.

2.) The only direction a 2 point brace will keep the towers from moving at all in is braking and acceleration of which only braking produces enough force on the towers to possibly move them.

3.) By tying the two towers together with a 2 point brace you may change the chassis's resonance frequency and reduce some NVH like cowl shake. Which is 99% the reason why Ford put them on the S197 chassis and is 99% of what people "notice" when they put one on.

Reality is, for any performance enhancement, a 2 point brace will only lighten your wallet, bling up the engine bay, and add weight to the nose of your car. If you want a REAL advantage in stiffening up the chassis, you will need to triangulate that 2 point brace to a point on the chassis that is out of plane with the motion of the strut towers... say... the firewall. Guess what, the 2015 Mustangs did EXACTLY that! By tying into the firewall you now reduce the deflection of the towers substantially.

Also, the S197 chass's rigidity is such that a 2 point brace isn't doing much at all. You might see some slightly better numbers on a flexible chassis like the SN95's and Foxes but I doubt highly it is enough to improve handling or substantially increase rigidity. A three point brace definitely decreases tower deflection (if there is any at all).

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

It might make a difference, but nothing like the difference FLSFC will make.
FLSFC's on the S197 chassis? Why? I can jack up three wheels on this car from one jacking point and the marginal increase in rigidity from SFC's is so tiny the only use for them is as a jacking rail.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
FLSFC's on the S197 chassis? Why? I can jack up three wheels on this car from one jacking point and the marginal increase in rigidity from SFC's is so tiny the only use for them is as a jacking rail.
haha, my bad, I thought this was the 99-04 forum

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
What a waste of an animation. It doesn't really show you anything and I suspect a large portion of the reason for that is because the words aren't in English.

1.) If your strut towers are flexible, at all, to move under cornering then a 2 point bar is going to move the towers in the same direction. It will NOT keep one from moving and not the other. Think of a cardboard box with both ends open laying on it side. How easy is it to push the cardboard box over? That is all you are doing with a 2 point brace. If one tower moves, they both move in the same direction which doesn't improve stiffness at all.

2.) The only direction a 2 point brace will keep the towers from moving at all in is braking and acceleration of which only braking produces enough force on the towers to possibly move them.

3.) By tying the two towers together with a 2 point brace you may change the chassis's resonance frequency and reduce some NVH like cowl shake. Which is 99% the reason why Ford put them on the S197 chassis and is 99% of what people "notice" when they put one on.

Reality is, for any performance enhancement, a 2 point brace will only lighten your wallet, bling up the engine bay, and add weight to the nose of your car. If you want a REAL advantage in stiffening up the chassis, you will need to triangulate that 2 point brace to a point on the chassis that is out of plane with the motion of the strut towers... say... the firewall. Guess what, the 2015 Mustangs did EXACTLY that! By tying into the firewall you now reduce the deflection of the towers substantially.

Also, the S197 chass's rigidity is such that a 2 point brace isn't doing much at all. You might see some slightly better numbers on a flexible chassis like the SN95's and Foxes but I doubt highly it is enough to improve handling or substantially increase rigidity. A three point brace definitely decreases tower deflection (if there is any at all).

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Yeah, but they look cool!

I don't think I noticed much if anything with the thing on or off. I don't dive my car into corners either though, I don't even have a front sway bar.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
The difference i noticed was input from the tires, theyre more predictable. At the time i had an unbalanced tire on the passenger side so it lightly vibrated around 60 mph. After the STB the vibration could be felt substantially more in the steering. This went along with most other things in the road, you could feel the road more so to speak.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Thanks for posting that, now I don't have to.:grin2:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I added mine I "thought" I could tell a difference. When I had to remove it for the FRPP mani, I can feel absolutely no difference. I'm not road coursing my car, so maybe that would make an actual difference.
I just installed mine and went for a drive and I can immediately tell the stiffness on the steering and better cornering. For my car, I had to get it from roushperformance because AM did not carry on that will fit over M90. Same one that is installed on 427 Trak Pak.

It's looks pretty good for visual purpose as well. But I think it's way over priced at $340.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts