Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You'd have to buy their universal setup and do some custom fab work. Otherwise there's a chance that the S197 setup might work on our cars, again with some custom fab work. It'd probably be real close though, with the length of the intake piping and the location for mounting the turbos.

They make some nice setups. I'd like to try one out.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
dont get a sts kit. the remote mount kits suck. if you want a turbo to sound like that just dump the wast gate instead of recirculating it back into the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I emailed my local DMV once because I was thinking about their universal single setup for my Z28, and the guy told me he's familiar with the STS setup due to a friend running it on his 'Vette, and that the turbo would not suffice as a muffler, even though turbos do quiet down the exhaust a little.

So that's an added challenge, fitting a turbo or two in the rear of the exhaust, with mufflers. I'll risk an offroad X, but the cops are probably more strict on just not having a muffler at all.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
dont get a sts kit. the remote mount kits suck. if you want a turbo to sound like that just dump the wast gate instead of recirculating it back into the exhaust.
Do you have any experience with one? Way too many people say something sucks without ever using it. I've seen some big power made with these STS systems. Check out a few of the STS twin turbo Z06's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you want the sleeper look, try getting a custom build from a reputable builder to put the turbos down by the manifolds. I would stay away from the rear mount setup. They do perform well and make decent power but a lot of problems are caused by the rear mount setup.

No mufflers. Puddles. Speed bumps. etc

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
there is a ton of lag running a turbo in the back. simple way to explain it is hot air is fast air. having a turbo set off so far makes it difficult spin larger turbo's with out a lot of lag. also that is a ton of intake pipe to run back up to the front. just not worth it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do you have any experience with one? Way too many people say something sucks without ever using it. I've seen some big power made with these STS systems. Check out a few of the STS twin turbo Z06's.
They do make some good power numbers! :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
there is a ton of lag running a turbo in the back. simple way to explain it is hot air is fast air. having a turbo set off so far makes it difficult spin larger turbo's with out a lot of lag. also that is a ton of intake pipe to run back up to the front. just not worth it.
Generally that is a correct thought. but some people perfer a bit of a laggy turbo due to traction issues. You can also upgrade to BB turbos, nitrous and beef up the motor more to help the lag issues.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
there is a shop here that built a drag orented ls1 camaro with a sts kit and it layed down serous power, but at the track it ran high 7's in the 1/8 on slick and a built c4. in my opinion that is slow for a 800 hp car. the car now has the turbo mounted in the engine bay and it will be running later on in the year.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I see the lag claim with these STS setups ALL the time. Literally EVERY single time someone mentions an STS. Common sense would tell you, the more the exhaust has to travel to the turbo, then make the intake charge travel back, the more lag. But hey, look at how incredibly well their setups perform.

I honestly doubt I'd do one, in favor of the simplicity of just having an under the hood turbo setup, but there's no reason to bash the technology when it performs well.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been debating since I got my car to get a procharger or a turbo. Idk. I think they both sound sweet, and Id prob get better gas mileage with a turbo. What do you guys think

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
There's been a few threads regarding the gas mileage with the supercharged guys. Most of them seem to drop only by about 1 MPG. I haven't read anything about the turbos guys mentioning their mileage.

I think On 3 Performance mentioned something about the gas mileage with their single turbo kit. They have a TON of miles on their setup. Well over 10,000 just in one year I believe.

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
someone on here has one, check in the 96-98 section.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Vince, where in NJ are you from? Just noticed that. I lived in Burlington county for a while. Moved to Delaware in 2007.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts