Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car has far too many mods to list and twin turbo, but I have been having a misfire on cyl #4.
I changed all the coils, plugs, and even replaced the pigtail on #4

Same problem on bank #4

Clear codes and still the problems persists.

Took it to a mechanic who put it on his computer and he found rapid misfire on #4

Mechanic decided to replace coil with a new one after changing the spark plug again.

Same issue with bank #4

Mechanic then decided that the BRAND NEW Ford Racing 80lb injector on #4 was hung open. Now in the morning I will swap the # 4 injector with the #1 injector and see what happens. If this does not reveal the culprit I am looking at a new harness. (Luckily my friend has one)
Now, if that injector is "stuck open" without the harness being at fault I will have to send it hundreds of miles back to Piedmont Custom Motorsports (my tuner) so that they can get warranty on it.

(Question)----->. Can the injector be "unstuck" without resorting to sending it off and a lengthy downtime?:screwy::bash:

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Have you checked for injector pulse at the harness? Load tested the harness from injector to pcm? Could be a bad driver in the pcm, guess you will find out when you switch the injectors around.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
You can Pulse the injector using a battery but chances are it will **** it up and render it as useless as it is now. Have you checked with Blue oval classics in Kingsport, or whites performance, 4 wheels unlimited or any local shops to see if they have a spare 80# laying around?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Word to the wise sort of thing: "pulsing" an injector with a battery can be an iffy procedure. In normal use they are never powered for more than 20 to 30 ms (maybe 50 milliseconds) per engine revolution--keeping it powered continuously for more than that can cause it to overheat and burn out--this is not a common thing, but it can happen...

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Word to the wise sort of thing: "pulsing" an injector with a battery can be an iffy procedure. In normal use they are never powered for more than 20 to 30 ms (maybe 50 milliseconds) per engine revolution--keeping it powered continuously for more than that can cause it to overheat and burn out--this is not a common thing, but it can happen...
Lol Cliffy Thats why I said "chances are it will **** it up and render it as useless as it is now"

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked for injector pulse at the harness? Load tested the harness from injector to pcm? Could be a bad driver in the pcm, guess you will find out when you switch the injectors around.
Hmmm, this is beginning to sound serious.
Damn

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Lol Cliffy Thats why I said "chances are it will **** it up and render it as useless as it is now"
I know, just wanted to reinforce and clarify your point...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can Pulse the injector using a battery but chances are it will **** it up and render it as useless as it is now. Have you checked with Blue oval classics in Kingsport, or whites performance, 4 wheels unlimited or any local shops to see if they have a spare 80# laying around?
If the injector turns out to be at fault I will just send it off for replacement. If it's the coil, my friend has me covered. If its a PCM driver then I won't have a clue what to do.:bash:
I can't afford to retune this freaken thing.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
If the injector turns out to be at fault I will just send it off for replacement. If it's the coil, my friend has me covered. If its a PCM driver then I won't have a clue what to do.:bash:
Do you have a SCT hand held or whats your tune stored on? I do not think its in your PCM. Did you notice any changes in the way your motor idles after removing the Connector from the Coil?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the injector turns out to be at fault I will just send it off for replacement. If it's the harness, my friend has me covered. If its a PCM driver then I won't have a clue what to do.:bash:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts