Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going back and forth deciding on what major mod to do this may. Like always I start planning months in advance. I have 2 choices I'm considering. I would also like someone who might know to give me an estimate on labor.

Choice one is heads, and do a ysi trim next year.

MMR stage 3 heads W/upgrade V Springs$1750.00
Vortech 8 rib Pulley kit...........................$_489.00
60lb inj.................................................$_375.00
Gaskets/studs........................................$_390.00
Other gaskets.........................................$__70.00
Fluids....................................................$__30.00
ARP Crank bolt.......................................$__39.00
RR 2.6" Pulley........................................$_150.00
Labor.....................................................$______?
Vortech YSI Trim .....$2600.00
Vortech 8 rib kit.......$_489.00
Apr Crank Bolt.........$_39.00
60lb inj...................$_375.00
RR Sc pulley............$_150.00
Valve springs...........$_200.00
Mondo Bypass..........$_270.00
Mondo flange/Gasket$__39.00
Labor for V Springs...$______?

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
I would go with the heads. That would allow you to run more efficient boost and open the door for alot more ponies.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like the heads too but it is little more labor intensive.

Is the rotating assembly already forged? What is your HP goal? I'd slap a blower on it and run at low boost till you build the motor. Then do the valve springs when you build the motor.
I'm already forged and supercharged. 650-700 eventually

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
i'd do the heads first. it'll allow you to get more out of the blower when you get it installed. i would do cams at the same time as the heads...

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
I like the heads too but it is little more labor intensive.

I'm already forged and supercharged. 650-700 eventually
Just snatch the motor, transmission, and everything out of the bottom of the car still in the K-member. Pull it out from under the car and get to work.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'd do the heads first. it'll allow you to get more out of the blower when you get it installed. i would do cams at the same time as the heads...
I already have a set of cams in the car and a small s-trim blower.

Just snatch the motor, transmission, and everything out of the bottom of the car still in the K-member. Pull it out from under the car and get to work.
I don't have excessive to a llift. I always used a hoist.

·
Registered
685 Posts
since u already have mmr shortblock i would go with the heads and springs it will be a lot better in my opinion and you will be able to rev a little higher which would help

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since u already have mmr shortblock i would go with the heads and springs it will be a lot better in my opinion and you will be able to rev a little higher which would help

Your probably right, I'm just lazy and didn't want to pull the motor apart again. I also here doing head studs in the car blows.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cant get the heads off in the car w/ studs.
I heard if you get them loose and put a rubber band on them to keep them half way in the head tell come out with heads? I don't have them now but I will install some when I do heads.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
You can do everything from the top. The first couple of times I swapped heads/cams, I did everything from the top. After the first time I pulled my motor out of the bottom of the car, I have not worked on it from the top since. It only takes about 2 hours to drop the whole motor/trans/exhaust and everything right out of the bottom of the car. Hell, I leave all the accessories in place and everything. It also makes headers a breeze.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can do everything from the top. The first couple of times I swapped heads/cams, I did everything from the top. After the first time I pulled my motor out of the bottom of the car, I have not worked on it from the top since. It only takes about 2 hours to drop the whole motor/trans/exhaust and everything right out of the bottom of the car. Hell, I leave all the accessories in place and everything. It also makes headers a breeze.
There's noway I can jack up the car enough to clear the engine in my litte one car garage with walmart jacks.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Next time I pull the motor, I will take pics and do a write up. I have a normal size garage and no special equipment.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I also vote for doing the work yourself. Working on a mod with engine in the car is a b1tch! everything is so tight and you got to take the accessories and front cover off and then all the timing chains/parts - sucktacular. Its not that big a deal to pull the motor from the top though. Sure its alot of work, but just take your time and try to have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts