Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am installing my suspension right now and I have nothing but stuck bolts everywhere. right now I'm trying to hit it with a propane torch and WD40 but still wont come out. I'm trying to get the front strut nuts off.

·
Registered
214 Posts
so I am installing my suspension right now and I have nothing but stuck bolts everywhere. right now I'm trying to hit it with a propane torch and WD40 but still wont come out. I'm trying to get the front strut nuts off.
are you using wrenches or a long bar? ... i had the same thing with mine long bar works best... just make sure you have a jackstand under the lower control arm

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I had to really heat mine up alot and then had to put the removable end of the jack handle over the end of the ratchet, and alot of penetrating oil. I really ran into trouble with the lower control arms, it took me 2 days, i had to burn the rubber out and used a sawzall and a huge cutting wheel.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
wd40 does ****, try pb blaster, let them soak for an hour so you can get em to loosen the rust, tighten them first, the try to loosen

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
to get my springs in I used a press and alot of hose clamps to get it compressed low enough to fit in with some massaging from a pry bar, once i could get it in i jacked up the A arm bolts on the shock and used the sawzall to cut through the hose clamps if i remeber correctly.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
to get my springs in I used a press and alot of hose clamps to get it compressed low enough to fit in with some massaging from a pry bar, once i could get it in i jacked up the A arm bolts on the shock and used the sawzall to cut through the hose clamps if i remeber correctly.
Wow, that's scary. I've seen what the stored energy in a compressed spring can do, and I'd never trust a bunch of hose clamps to hold it. Especially considering all the different directions they could go in if they failed to hold the spring. Had a spring compressor let go once and the spring fired the pieces of the compressor with enough force to take chunks out of my solid block walls at my shop. If anyone was in the path of that they would have been killed. After that I treat every compressed spring like an armed bomb, lol.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
ya i know, thats what i was nervous about, we used alot of heavy duty ones, I just had no idea of how else to get them in there and i thought i read about the clamp idea from on here and i thought i heard the spring compressors didnt work or something, oh well there on there now lol next time ill try a better way

·
Registered
581 Posts
I tried everything I could think of to install springs. Ended up unbolting the a arm from the cradle, centering the spring, then jacking the whole works up into place. Just take it slow to position the a arm in the mounting locations.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that's scary. I've seen what the stored energy in a compressed spring can do, and I'd never trust a bunch of hose clamps to hold it. Especially considering all the different directions they could go in if they failed to hold the spring. Had a spring compressor let go once and the spring fired the pieces of the compressor with enough force to take chunks out of my solid block walls at my shop. If anyone was in the path of that they would have been killed. After that I treat every compressed spring like an armed bomb, lol.
If you think thats scary my buddy thought is was a good idea to compress the spring in a vice and zip tie it. HAHA he took it off and it looked pretty compressed and was like he dude check this out. 0.0 OMG I was like put that **** down. haha

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh and I finished installing the back springs and this is how they turned out

pretty cool huh. not!!!!!! It did the opposite of lowering it it raised it. I think I put the springs in the wrong positon. I also put in new tokico shocks. I don't know if its supose to look like that or if there is a break in period

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
If you think thats scary my buddy thought is was a good idea to compress the spring in a vice and zip tie it. HAHA he took it off and it looked pretty compressed and was like he dude check this out. 0.0 OMG I was like put that **** down. haha

:eek::lmao

oh and I finished installing the back springs and this is how they turned out

pretty cool huh. not!!!!!! It did the opposite of lowering it it raised it. I think I put the springs in the wrong positon. I also put in new tokico shocks. I don't know if its supose to look like that or if there is a break in period
:lmao:lmao

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
^^ ya bro that's odd, i don't know why your car is sitting so high. Did you call the manufacture and ask them ?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I put the exact same parts on mine and it dropped it right away, maybe they sent you the wrong springs or something thats pretty goofy haha

·
Registered
581 Posts
maybe the spring isnt seated properly. could have slipped on the lower control arm perch

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Sometimes when you put new parts in they have to settle after the car gets back on the ground.. but that's a little excessive. You probably have something wrong somewhere. For the record, my car had eibach springs in it and it rode higher than stock. No clue what ones were in there cause they were in when I bought it, but I always hated the way they made the car look.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts