Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a groaning ball joint so I decided to swap them both out with the cobra ball joints from ford racing. So, I was able to move the steering rack and drop the mounting bolts for the control arm. No problem. But now, I can't get the steering knunkle bolt out to save my life. I got the nut off the back. When I tried to tap the bolt out, I got nothing. When I tried to turn the bolt I had to use a 24" breaker bar, got it to turn, hit it with the penatrating oil, still no joy. I even went so far as to put a jack under the ball joint to give the knuckle a little support to ease the tension... Nothing. I can't get this F'ing bolt out on this very routine job and I really can't afford to have a shop come pick the car up and do it for me. HELP PLEASE:70:.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Can you bolt back up the steering rack to the K-member? Maybe they just need to be lined up properly to get the bolt out. Also remember the orientation of the bolt because if you put it back in backwards it may lead to some slop in the steering.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I was tweeking the wrong bolt! That would certainly be less frustrating. I put the the control arm in its place, loosely, I think I will go stick a bolt or two back in it to see what happens. Thank you both.

·
Nitrous Junkie
85 Posts
Try hitting the knuckle not the bolt. The side of it where the bolt goes through. Always worked to remove ball joints and tie rod ends in my fox.

·
Backbone
353 Posts
So, just for my future knowledge, The bolt was getting pinched, Correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts