Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read alot of threads about cams and wondered if bigger the cam bettter?

I see a lot of people use stage 2 cams from multiple companies.

I figure stage 2 is DD friendly.

Well Im looking at swapping in a 5.4L
Other supporting mods will be: Trick flow heads, HPS manifold.

I want to get past atleast 330rwhp. But wanted to know would a stage 3 cam be worth it or should I stay at stage 2? or get a custom cam be the max performance?

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
bigger isnt always better. Base the cam off of your future goals or mods, current mods, and application. Not based off of a "stage" thinking a bigger stage will give more power. If that makes sense?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah ok I see.
Im just looking at staying N/A and also getting trick flow heads and HPS manifold with them when I do the 5.4L swap.
I havent done alot of research on the HPS manifold but Ive read some comments and heard that you can use your stock hood which Im not but the gains vary from max 10-15 extra hp.
I really want to stay N/A and get to 350 hp but if my chances are that I will be spending money to where I should of boosted it I will go the boost route and boost the 5.4L.

Going a little off topic, hoping you will know. I want to do the 5.4L swap would it be better/cheaper to just get the Lighting motor with the s/c?

Ive found some for 1500 from totaled lightnings. comes with engine/eaton sc/trans/ecu

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah I see, I figured the higher stage you could rev higher pending on the valves to piston clearance and such.

In the end though being able to revv higher would cause a loss in low end torque correct?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts