Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rack and pinion is leaking from the threads where the in-let line goes. They are stripped out from the previous owner/s.

I was just wounder if I completely bypassed the pump would anything catastrophic happen? I plan on going with a manual rack and pinion anyways, but until then could I get away with this?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Done it on a few cars in the past. Best way I found was to run a tube between the inlet and outlet of the rack, and put a "T" on the line with a breather on it. First few times you turn fluid will shoot out of the breather, but then it will eventually settle to a level where it won't leak and it works better than having just a line between the in and the out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be great but my source of the leak is the rack and pinion itself, so it really would just end up leaking to where there are no fluids moving through it.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
dunno i've driven a few foxes with power steering racks looped (which means they had some fluid in them) and they were like that for years with the only problem being that it was hard as **** to turn like that where with a flaming river manual rack kit it's a good bit easier to turn.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
The weak point in that set up is the stamped steel steering shaft. I'd hate to have mine come apart when I was doing something important like steering. Hit up napa for a rack. I think their price was cheaper than 50resto or AM (I forget which one of the two had one)

You could also go full manual with a manual rack and better steering shaft. (ain't cheap though)

Nothin' against you guys that have driven with the power steering disconnected but that stamped steel makes me un-easy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, now another stupid question. I'm having trouble shifting my auto out of park, is there an adjustment i can do or is that a lack of fluid? I checked it cold and it was well over full, but i haven't really had the time to look at my baby the proper way, which is hot while idle.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hey, now another stupid question. I'm having trouble shifting my auto out of park, is there an adjustment i can do or is that a lack of fluid? I checked it cold and it was well over full, but i haven't really had the time to look at my baby the proper way, which is hot while idle.
is it hard like when the car doesnt have the key in and you try to shift it out of park? once its out of park is it easy to shift?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While it's running with my foot on the brake, the button will not depress. It actually pops the T-handle off the shifter.

I was also thinking it was a lock out switch of some sort. If the brake isn't pressed it will not shift.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, figured out what was wrong with my shifting problem... Break booster. Replaced it and now I have power brakes again and no shifting problems anymore. Guess it wasn't allowing me to press far enough on the pedal to activated the switch or whatever.

Now, I have a question about the 94-95 MAF. I went and grabbed just the housing off a 3.8 because there were no 5.0's in the yard. My stock MAF sensor fits perfect, but will the reading be wrong? Do I need to grab a 94-95 sensor and wire it in?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Anyone have the AOD dip stick length? I thought my trans was running low. Now its where its supposed to be on the stick, checked 3 diff days. My problem is, there is trans fluid all over and there is a hissing sound from the trans. I know its over filled, so that leaves me to believe the wrong dip stick is in the trans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts