Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i need three different opinions/ideas for my next plan for my car. First off, I can't decide what sub to get...im definately getting a JL W7, but idk whether to get a 10 or a 12". i've heard the 10 should be plenty for my car and it sounds better, but that 12 hits the lows better and is obviously louder.

Second, I'm going to either buy or make a rear seat delete soon. Since i'm getting a sub, i had the idea of buying/making a rear seat delete, and in the center cutting out a circle for the sub to face in towards the front of the car though, and maybe have that sub sitting at an angled mounted box. so basically a rear seat delete with a sub in the center, behind it a box holding the sub in place. would this work? if not what's the closest i can get to it, or how should i mount the sub that it will sound really good?

last, if i make a rear seat delete, what should i use to be lightweight and sturdy? i may or may not have the sub sticking through it so which would be the best for each situation?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
and you cant put the sub in the middle because of the drive shaft hump
so it would either have to be on one side or in its own box on top

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
+1 on the MDF board. That sub will sound like **** if it's facing into the cabin. That's not the way subs are supposed to work. Face your subs forward and listen, then turn them around so they face the back of the trunk and I can guarantee it will sound way better.

If I were you i'd build the RSD and then build a little custom sub box for the trunk.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
As far as actual subs go, I'd get two 10s. The cabin is a little small for 12s, bigger is not always better. Dual tens are sound nice and tight, and my Rockfords still hit the low notes well so that shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'd rather have one 12 than two 10's. my options are going to be one 10 or one 12. so i guess all i can really do is make a rear seat delete then have a box connected to the back of it huh....will it sound better or worse if its touching the rear seat delete?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
as far as im aware of the JL's can not run off of free air they have to be actually enclosed. There are some subs that can run off of free air but you have to see which ones they are as I honestly cannot remember, too tired. If they are not meant for "free air" then they are going to sound like pure ass.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
i'd rather have one 12 than two 10's. my options are going to be one 10 or one 12. so i guess all i can really do is make a rear seat delete then have a box connected to the back of it huh....will it sound better or worse if its touching the rear seat delete?
well If you're only getting one, I would get a 10 that can handle some big RMS wattage. I'm telling you, it's gonna sound like **** if you face that thing towards the front of the car. I'm not exactly a sound engineer, but I know that subs work by bouncing waves off of other surfaces and there is refraction (I think that's what it's called?) of the waves and that's why they sound good. It doesn't sound very loud or crisp if you just blast sound waves at your head.

Build a RSD, then build a box in the proper spot in your trunk

·
Registered
23 Posts
im gonna be doing a custm rear seat delete also and was gonna use the same stuff, MDF board, though about doing a single sub but instead going with a light weight 10" bazooka type tube. dont need the car raddling from a system but don't mind rocking out on the inside with a little internal thump.......

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i got that already, im not going to face the sub forward. i'm going to make a rear seat delete, and then im going to face it backwards in a box, im just not sure if i should get a plain square box or what i should do that would work the best. my trunks gutted right now so i can put it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
well If you're only getting one, I would get a 10 that can handle some big RMS wattage. I'm telling you, it's gonna sound like **** if you face that thing towards the front of the car. I'm not exactly a sound engineer, but I know that subs work by bouncing waves off of other surfaces and there is refraction (I think that's what it's called?) of the waves and that's why they sound good. It doesn't sound very loud or crisp if you just blast sound waves at your head.
Not really true at all. As a rule of thumb (but not always true) subs will sound better facing the rear. It is basically like corner loading a sub in a home audio system (usually you place a home audio sub facing a corner). This allows the sub to couple w/ the surrounding environment more efficiently.
You can think of it as seperate systems. You have the sub, which creates MASSIVE pressure changes at the cone. You have the trunk, which is basically a very small box. Then you have the cabin, which acts as a large box. When going from the cone to the cabin, there's a very large pressure difference and it's very inefficient.
By having the sub facing backwards, it actually pressurizes the trunk more and then "flows" into the cabin. This gradual change from cone to slightly pressurized trunk to cabin is much more efficient. It's kind of like a horn (that's kind of a stretch but not too bad).

·
Registered
978 Posts
if your getting the JL Audio W7, that thing will be enough for you in the stang. my friend has the same setup and that thing rocks. i have 2 W3 10's and its downright obnoxious in my car if i want it to be.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I think loud stereos are obnoxious :shiftyeyes

I am with sonic and d on this one. Put that sub in the trunk and tuck it up out of the way with an air space (enclosure) said by the manufacurer to be suited for its use.

Jazzer :)

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts

Build a RSD, then build a box in the proper spot in your trunk
With all the subs i've ever had in my mustang, they all sound better facing forward. i had 2 10" for a long time and it flat pounded. now i've got 1 15" alpine type r... and two 2 12" type r are getting installed this weekend. they have all sounded best when facing forward...

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I think loud stereos are obnoxious :shiftyeyes
Jazzer :)
I agree. However, I like to hear all the notes in my music and enjoy a nice 10" or 2 8" subs in a vehicle. Just enough so you know that the bass drum and bass guitar do exist. :D

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
@OP I would just build a box that fits right up against the back of the rear seat delete. It's gonna have to be pretty short to fit under all the mach 460 ****, but a 10" or maybe a 12" will be able to fit if you angle it. That way you have the sub tucked way back in the trunk so you can utilize what little trunk space there is in the first place. My box is too tall to slide all the way to the back of the trunk, so it basically sits right in the dead center and makes my trunk useless. I can fit my backpack in there and that's about it.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Why not build an enclosure on one side of the truck next to the taillight? One 10 or 12 there and you still have most of your trunk space.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
if your gonna do a big system like that you better pick up a set of 4.56's to throw in the rear end...stereo stuff is like a boat anchor! lol the only sounds you should be worried about come from the two round oppenings under the back bumper :3gears ....some music is nice now and then though lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.