Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys thought about this idea. I was planning on getting a set of subframe connectors with the built in seat brackets and they seemed to be priced around $60 and up. Well I just had a thought when I remembered I have to 12' pieces of steel 1" square tubing laying in the garage, I could just cut a couple pieces out of that and use that instead. I would think they would be a little stiffer then a normal subframe connector. Then I could just find a couple pieces of flat stock to weld on them to use for the seat brackets and then I could also have a bar or two made so that I can connect the right and left connectors to each other but make em removable so when I need to remove the driveshaft I can. Kinda would act like a driveshaft loop in a way. What are your guys thought on this idea.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
It could work out pretty well but it seems a little overkill to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
its not as simple as just cutting 2 6' pieces of 1x1 tubing and slapping them on the sub frame (but i'm assuming you knew that) you'd have to make a few angled cuts in order to appropriately fit along the bottom of the car.. etc. Unless you're saying you're cutting some of the floor out to make them fit it one straight shot??

most subframe connectors i've seen are made of 2"x3" tubing so i'd say the 1x1 wouldn't be as strong.. atleast id assume that would be the case... but i'm no engineer

it does sound like a lot of work considering the price you could pay to get ones that are ready to go... but i'm a cheap cheap bastard, so i like making stuff myself also!!

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
I misread that, I thought you were going to use the square tubing for the seat reinforcements. I agree with 89 the 1" may work but it won't work as well as a good set of subframe connectors.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
2" x 1" x .062 box tubing is what most of the basic bars are and a piece of 1" x 1" angle iron to be notched and drilled for the seat bolts.It is as simple as welding the bar evenly between the front and rear subframes, and hooking in the floor and seat bolt

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i was thinking prolly weld 2 of the 1x1's together to make it a 2x1. all the pics of subframe connectors i see look to be pretty straight with no kind of bends in it so I dont see where I would have to be doing and cutting of different angles. Am I right or wrong

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have the UPR full length subframe connectors and they have a bend in them.. just assumed they all did

1 - 8 of 8 Posts