Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cd player finally kicked the bucket last weekend so i bought a new one. i have new door speakers and all that and i was thinking of putting two subs in the trunk. i want it to sound good but i dont want to go deaf in the process. i was thinking either two 10"s or two 12"s. do you think the 12"s would be overkill?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
depends on the brands. sometimes a 10" sub (good brand) will put out more and cleaner power than a cheap 12"... do some research through crutchfield.com (you cant beat their prices), and maybe some more members with more insight will chime in.

·
Registered
799 Posts
thats what i'm doing, just one 12" sub. like a type R would be perfect.
i heard doing 2 12's is pretty loud in as small of a car as a mustang. plus you can save a little weight!:yes

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I have an 03, and 2 Kicker Comp VR 12" subs. They are rated for 400watts RMS each, and im pushing 500watts RMS to each. I got a deal on them, $75 bucks shipped for both.

Just my personal opinon, through experiance, is that Kicker subs and Alpine amps are wonderful and will not leave a black hole in your wallet.

I buy most, if not all, my audio stuff from Sonic Elctronicx. They have great selection, and great prices. Shipping is a little high, but not everything can be perfect :D

I got these links for you: They are Kicker subs in a prebuilt Kicker enclosure:

Kicker DC104 - Dual 10" Vented Enclosure with Kicker Comp Subwoofers • 600W Peak • 300W RMS • 4 Ohm Final Impedance • Oversized ports with flared ends • Embroidered Kicker logo • Heavy duty black carpet - , Enclosed Subwoofer Systems, Non-Amplified S

Kicker DCVR102 - Dual 10" Vented Enclosure with CompVR Subwoofers • 800W Peak • 400W RMS • 2 Ohm Final Impedance • Oversized ports with flared ends • Embroidered Kicker logo • Heavy duty black carpet - , Enclosed Subwoofer Systems, Non-Amplified Subw

Kicker VCVR122 - 12" VR Series Subwoofer • 800W Max • 400W RMS • Injection Molded Polypropylene • Santoprene Surround • 360° back bracing and aluminum coating • Dual 2 ohm voice coils - , Enclosed Subwoofer Systems, Ported Subwoofer Systems - Sonic E

Kicker VCVR124 - 12" VR Series Subwoofer • 800W Max • 400W RMS • Injection Molded Polypropylene • Santoprene Surround • 360° back bracing and aluminum coating • Dual 4 ohm voice coils - , Enclosed Subwoofer Systems, Ported Subwoofer Systems - Sonic E

As for as amps go, you want a Mono D-Class amp for subs. If you are running one sub, you need to match the RMS Watts on the Sub with the Amp. If you are running two subs you want to divide the Amp wattage by 2 and have that equal one sub.

Ex: 2 Kicker CVRs at 400watts rms each = 800watt rms Amplifier.
Ex: 1 Kicker Comp at 200watts rms = 200watt rms Amplifier.

For amps going with the above subs I would recommend:

Alpine MRP-M450 - 400 watts RMS mono subwoofer car amplifier • CEA-2006 compliant • 220W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms • 400W RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms • STAR Topology • gold-plated screw terminals - , Car Amplifiers, Mono Subwoofer Amps - Sonic Electronix

Alpine MRP-M650 - Class D mono subwoofer car amplifier • 400W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms • 600W RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms • CEA-2006 compliant • Gold-plated screw terminals - , Car Amplifiers, Mono Subwoofer Amps - Sonic Electronix

Alpine MRP-M850 - 800 watts, Class D MonoBlock Amplifier • RMS Power Output: 4 ohms: 500 watts x 1 / 2 ohms: 800 watts x 1 • Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 200 Hz • MOSFET power supply • STAR Topology (minimizes internal noise and prevents ground interf

Ya, im a little biased with Kicker and Alpine, but thats because I go with what I have seen work for me. Hope this helps ya out, let me know if ya need more help. :D

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
depends on the brands. sometimes a 10" sub (good brand) will put out more and cleaner power than a cheap 12"... do some research through crutchfield.com (you cant beat their prices), and maybe some more members with more insight will chime in.
How many websites have you been to man? Crutchfield has TONS of good info, but their prices suck. Look around and you can find a great deal. My favorite site is DealTime: Price Comparison, Store & Product Reviews

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Misinformation FTL...

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think you'd be good with one 12
i have one kicker S7 with an 800rms amp and it is more than enough.
its in my 91 mustang and it rattles the hatch so i think one is
plenty but a word of advice spend the money and buy good
quality stuff its worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
i have one ported cvr 10 custom built box(by me) in my 88 hatch. it is more then enough.

although i dont really like the kicker sub it gets the job done.

the type r is a good choice, if you go ported this would also be a good sub.

Phoenix Gold Ti12D Elite - Phoenix Gold 12" 2000 Watt Titanium Elite Subwoofer

paired up with this amp

Cadence TXA-1000D Cadence Class D Mono Power 1000 Watt Amplifier

and a custom built box for it would hit VERY hard.

but if you want more sound quality you would want to go sealed with a decent sub like the type r

·
The Razor's Edge
4,396 Posts
the thing about going with crutchfield is you get a crappy warrantee .... id say go with a memphis 12 in a sealed box with a decent amp that has enough to over power the sub and call it a day....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts