Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...we all know that the factory door panel inserts come off after a few years.
This sucks.
My friend and I replaced my factory vinyl inserts with some black microsuede custom inserts. Here are the pictures to show you the process and results.
Enjoy!

1) the factory door panel with the insert removed. What you see is the backing.

2) scrape the backing until it is smooth. A heat gun will go a long way toward smoothing it out. Don't point the heat gun at the plastic part of your door panel!

3)We used an industrial adhesive which we applied using an air compressor and paint gun. Spray both the door panel itself and the back side of the suede. It's important to point out that we used microsuede with a foam padded backing, like what they use for headliners. This made it have the factory padded appearance. If you use a non-backed material, the door panel underneath must be extremely smooth, or you will be able to see ANY imperfections underneath!
Aaron spraying the adhesive:

Aaron using a screen spline roller tool to get the suede down into the grooves of the door panel:

4)Almost ready to cut off the excess material. We used various tools to make sure the suede was perfectly mated to the door.

5)The results.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
WOW

Holy crap that looks good.

Ill be interested to see if it stays put.

If so, I see red suede in my future!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice job ... it's basically the same material used on headliners, and when the proper glue is used, it holds a very long time.

Nice to see suede back in the game!!

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Me Likey!

·
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm stoked-it looks so nice in person! I definitely want suede inserts for the seats. Once I get new front seats, I'll have the rears done to match.

Where did you find the lined suede?
My friend does custom interior and audio work...he's the best in the game. You can likely find it at a stereo shop or auto interior warehouse.

makes me wish my leather would start peeling off
The leather underwear I got you?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What shop?
He's in Houston... I'll find out the name of the shop. He comes to Austin to do work, too. He does some amazing stuff. His name is Aaron Davis.
pm me if anyone needs his contact info.

·
Registered
929 Posts
****ING ****! OMFG that looks SOOOOO good! My car is all black inside. My driver side panel is off and the I already had the passenger side redone. I think I might just do what you did. But having a pro there helps..

Could you give more details on the tools you used to smooth it out. How long do I have before the glue sets. I hear people using contact cement applied to both sides, but when they stick together, that is it.. There is no redoing it. It kind of makes me nervous to try on my own.

REPS!

·
Registered
399 Posts
i thought about doin that when i owned an 06 but it rains alot here and you obviously have to open the door so its gonna get wet...i did do my headliner and sunvisors in suede....looked really great

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Looks really good. Ive been trying to do this as well, with some red leather or something. You could make pieces like this and sell them. Might make some money

·
Registered
399 Posts
this is how mine in my old car turned out...the leather that was there tore off. so i went with this, when i had it.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
He's in Houston... I'll find out the name of the shop. He comes to Austin to do work, too. He does some amazing stuff. His name is Aaron Davis.
pm me if anyone needs his contact info.

Find out what he would charge someone to do it :) When mine start to sag some red suede would be killer.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
As I scrolled down through the pictures I was like "this is gonna look like an old man car" "this is gonna look like crap...oh it looks ok, DAAAAAMMMMNNNN" :lmao

good job and nice write up! reps!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts