Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I drive hard and come to a stop I smell a sulfur. I have heard you might smell this on a cold start before the cats are heated up, but my car does it when the car is plenty hot and I run about 90mph and come to a stop.

Does this sound like a clogged cat? I had the guy weld the tube that goes to the smog pump and after I did it I read about that can foul the cats pretty quick.

I really wish I hadn't welded in this catted x pipe and bought something that bolts up. :sorry Oh well...its just more money. :p

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Sounds like your cats are toast. That tube that goes from the smog pump to the mid pipe feeds fresh air to the cats so they don't fail...

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The sulphur smell is typically related to a rich condition, not really that the cats are bad. Of course the longer the car is not running right or the A/F is jacked, the shorter life the cats will have. A rich condition after a lean condition can smell even worse. I could bust out the chemical equations but it is basically hydrogen sulphide being let off from the excess sulphur being released while rich that "collected" in the cats while being lean. That might explain your smell after getting on it. You may be normal or a little lean and then when back at idle you are rich. My supercharged 88 does the same thing and my cats are not that old. Vac leak, exhaust leak, O2 sensors maybe throwing your A/F off or I'm sure that tube from the pump has something to do with the correct temperature of them as well. Maybe just a tank of bad gas with high sulphur content?

·
Registered
60 Posts
batteries smell like rotten egges when the go,but it is probably the cats

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
+1 definately the cats. I used to work at a muffler shop, and would see it (smell it) all of the time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts