Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get this wheel setup with my graduation money.

I love the saleens, but i'm not sure about the tires. How are they? It's my dd, and i'll have it at the strip a few times a year. Probably no auto-x or road course stuff. Is it worth the money to get that setup? Or should i get the wheels and buy tires separately? I work at a shop and do tire mounting and balancing all day so that's no issue.

Thanks ladies and germs :D

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I have the Sumitomo HTR Z II's on my 2010 GT Premium wheels. For the price, they're not horrible tires and they seem to be wearing pretty well. As far as grip, it' definitely better than my all-seasons (on dry pavement) but make sure you keep your old wheels around if you drive your car in the winter. I put my 2010 GT Premiums on a little early last year, got a light snow (just a dusting on the roads basically), and I was sliding all over the place. I would probably buy them again simply for the price and the fact that they do what I need them to do on my DD.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Sumitomo HTR Z II's on my 2010 GT Premium wheels. For the price, they're not horrible tires and they seem to be wearing pretty well. As far as grip, it' definitely better than my all-seasons (on dry pavement) but make sure you keep your old wheels around if you drive your car in the winter. I put my 2010 GT Premiums on a little early last year, got a light snow (just a dusting on the roads basically), and I was sliding all over the place. I would probably buy them again simply for the price and the fact that they do what I need them to do on my DD.
Yeah i would definately keep my old wheels. Have you tried them at the strip? How are they?

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
i have the sumi 275's in the back, they are nice tires for DD's, they dont hook too well when i spray but they do a good job with just my gears

i drive highway a lot so i needed a tire that lasted longer than 10,000 miles, i can't afford to replace nitto's 3 times a year

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sumitomos suck nitto dr's ftmfw. They are dot approved and can be driven on the street.
I was thinkkng about some nitto's. But I assume it would be more exspensive. And also like super said I'm looking for tires that last more than 10,000 miles.

i have the sumi 275's in the back, they are nice tires for DD's, they dont hook too well when i spray but they do a good job with just my gears

i drive highway a lot so i needed a tire that lasted longer than 10,000 miles, i can't afford to replace nitto's 3 times a year
So do you think i would hook fine at the strip with just a catback and shortthrow?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Yeah i would definately keep my old wheels. Have you tried them at the strip? How are they?
Never tried them at the strip (I've always had too many issues with my car to feel safe running it that hard). On the street they're pretty decent. I suppose they wouldn't be ideal for drag racing, but if you have some extra money laying around you could always buy a second set of rear wheels and put some drag radials on them for when you do go to the track.

sumitomos suck nitto dr's ftmfw. They are dot approved and can be driven on the street.
How do they wear though (I hear at last one of the Nitto tires doesn't last long on the street, can't remember which one it is though)? I mean Kohr's is like 18 so I doubt he wants to be buying new tires all the time.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean Kohr's is like 18 so I doubt he wants to be buying new tires all the time.
You're a fart smeller. I mean smart feller :p

But yeah like he said, i dont want to be buying tires alot.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I have 315/35-17" sumi's now on my cobra r's they wear fast man and suck I did a burnout just for shits n giggles at the staging lane and had tons of tire shread all over my damn car, took a half hour to clean the crap off when I got home, and they are not going to hook well trust me I know lol. I'm just sayn if your gonna do it do it right save the money and get a good tire all around dont f^#$ up like me and get something just cause its cheap.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 315/35-17" sumi's now on my cobra r's they wear fast man and suck I did a burnout just for shits n giggles at the staging lane and had tons of tire shread all over my damn car, took a half hour to clean the crap off when I got home, and they are not going to hook well trust me I know lol. I'm just sayn if your gonna do it do it right save the money and get a good tire all around dont f^#$ up like me and get something just cause its cheap.
well.. like i said i'll probably only hit the track 5-6 times a year. and they've gotta hook better than the all season tires i have right now. I've still got a couple months to decide so we'll see what happens. What tire would you recommend that hooks decently and is good for dd'ing?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
nittos man check am(american muscle) in the tire section you'll see em their like 190-220 a tire for the all out radial. read the reviews as well at the bottom of their page. My sumi's were only 130 a tire but their cheap and the good ol' saying goes you get what you pay for and its true my man.

·
Banned
1,091 Posts
Those tires will be pimpin cause they talk about them in Still Fly by Big Tymers! Baby is never wrong!

P.S. If you think that song is done by Devil Wears Prada I hope you die in a fire....

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
i would assume if the track is prepped nice and you can launch good that they would be fine, however i havent gotten to run mine at a track so i dont wanna say they will hook and then they do the opposite lol

however i can say i ordered mine last year in june i think, maybe july, and they still have great tread life left

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Those tires will be pimpin cause they talk about them in Still Fly by Big Tymers! Baby is never wrong!

P.S. If you think that song is done by Devil Wears Prada I hope you die in a fire....
It was done better by Devil Wears Prada...

·
Registered
152 Posts
You would be better off imo to just buy some quality tires for the rear if you are concerned about traction. People need to realize there are places outside american muscle to buy ****.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
You would be better off imo to just buy some quality tires for the rear if you are concerned about traction. People need to realize there are places outside american muscle to buy ****.
We're all aware that there are places besides AM. But currently they have some deals going on for some Bullitt and Saleen wheels and Sumi tires as a package.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go ahead and purchase the wheel/tire package with my graduation money in a few months. The nitto's are a little to exspensive for me at the moment, so i'll have to deal with the sumitomo's for now. Thanks for the input fellas :)

EDIT: this is my 1,111 post :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts