Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever run these tires? They seem to be a pretty solid performing tire, possibly a cost-effective alternative to the Nitto NT555. In a test performed by Tire Rack on a 2006 BMW 325i sedan, against a Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, Continental ContiSportContact 3, and Yokahama ADVAN Sport, it placed #1 overall, plus they're only $163 a piece, and they have a UTQG of 300. For something sticky that I'm just going to abuse anyways, it seems like a sweet deal. Customer reviews are all extremely favorable. I'm just not sure if they'll hold 417 pound feet of torque...Anyone? Juco?

·
Registered
638 Posts
^ hes right. they dont hook, and they wear incredibly fast!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Those Sumitomo tires suck ass bro. I had them on my 02, and they were horrible. Their all season tires suck ass too. I personally would never buy tires from Sumitomo again. The best I have ever had are Nitto's & Pirelli's. Both are very good in quality, have superb grip, and seem to last longer than any other tires i've used. BFG's are another good choice though. :D

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, I appreciate the input, but these aren't the ZII's...they're the ZIII's. So it sounds like we might not even be talking about the same tires here...cuz these are new gen tire. 02Stang, I've heard the Pirellis suck, I personally think my BFG's suck, I've heard from guys on other forums that the triple fives suck. I also read a lot of guys who ran Sumi's and loved them...unless it rained. So back to square one I guess. I'm calling Tire Rack tomorrow, they test a lot of their tires, maybe they can give me a non-biased answer on a truly sticky non-DR tire to run. I'm tired of having to run my Mickeys on the street just so I don't get stoplighted by grandmama on her electric powered chair because I can't hook up unless I leave in 3rd gear...:mad::nuts

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
The Nitto NT555s don't suck. I've heard nothing but good thing about them and that's what will be going on my car shortly.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
BFGS KDWs:D:D:D:D ....ive put 20k on them and they still have alot of tread left...they hook great IMO

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I heard nothin but good things bout the nittos and i just got mine and love them. They have a HUGE foot print, i think they are the largest in the industry. my 285/35/18s on 18x10s have an 11.3" foot print. It hasnt been warm enough to try em out well but they are great so far! Price isnt bad either.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Hey guys, I appreciate the input, but these aren't the ZII's...they're the ZIII's. So it sounds like we might not even be talking about the same tires here...cuz these are new gen tire. 02Stang, I've heard the Pirellis suck, I personally think my BFG's suck, I've heard from guys on other forums that the triple fives suck. I also read a lot of guys who ran Sumi's and loved them...unless it rained. So back to square one I guess. I'm calling Tire Rack tomorrow, they test a lot of their tires, maybe they can give me a non-biased answer on a truly sticky non-DR tire to run. I'm tired of having to run my Mickeys on the street just so I don't get stoplighted by grandmama on her electric powered chair because I can't hook up unless I leave in 3rd gear...:mad::nuts

I guess it depends on how you drive. But I had nothing but problems with them cheap Sumitomos. Pirelli's P Zero Nero's have served me well, and so have the Nitto 555's. They have been the best tires i've used. Although, if I were taking it to the track, I would definatly use Mickey Thompsons.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I LOVE the Mickeys...Just got a 26" diameter on a 17" rim, cuz they didn't have the 18" DR's when I bought them. It's too bad, cuz they can handle the torque I'm putting down...I just don't want to have to go that route, cuz it's my DD, and they won't last long if I do get another set of DR's that fit the 18" rims...and I hate to buy $1000 worth of tires to get maybe a year's use out of them. Ever since I threw in my UCA/LCA's the BFG's just spin. No wheel hop tho! :D

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard nothin but good things bout the nittos and i just got mine and love them. They have a HUGE foot print, i think they are the largest in the industry. my 285/35/18s on 18x10s have an 11.3" foot print. It hasnt been warm enough to try em out well but they are great so far! Price isnt bad either.
You runnin that size just on the rear?

·
Registered
79 Posts
i would go for 555R DR on the back, just got them in 305/35/18, 12 inch wide. i had 315/35/17 on my 03 stang and i loved them .they even have incredible grip in the wet, noting short of clutch dropping could get them to spin.
but for the front tires i went whith dunlop DZ-1 whitch have 200 rating and very stiff side walls.should help both braking and steering.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have the Nitto 555R DR 305/35/18. They are excellent on the street, but I have a set of 17" stock wheels I'm going to put some Mickey's on for the track. The Nitto's last a long time for a DR, supposedly 15,000 miles. I have about 6,000 on them now with minimal wear.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
I always seem to be in the minority here but I ended up getting the BFG G-force DRs...The Strip opens at noon and the weather looks good so I will let you know how these hook up where it counts...I am Installing my LCAs this morning and the upper if I feel I have the time.I have a set of 20" Toyo's that I run around on the street with..Just wondering if the reason the orange is called "grabber" is retro from the Grabber Mavericks?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
The Sumitomo's suck ass as stated above.

I just ordered 4 BFG KDW N/T's for my car. They can be had for around 200 bucks a pop or less if you shop around. Check out Discount Tire, Custom Wheels, Truck & Car Rims | Discount Tire Co. for starters. :)

Oh, and it doesn't matter what I paid for them, because I'm in Canada, and everything is more expensive up here. :mad: But I did get a great deal on them for where I am. :yes

*EDIT*

BFGS KDWs:D:D:D:D ....ive put 20k on them and they still have alot of tread left...they hook great IMO

This is great to hear^. I was hoping I had made the right choice. lol

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha I'm tempted to get a set of 2 BFG T/A KDW NT and 2 Nitto NT555, and rotate them front to back every 3000 miles, so that I can see which grips or handles better...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts