Soo my buds got a 91 mustang 5.0 with some mods:

AFR 165 cc intake heads
pedestal mount roller rockers
BBK SSI intake manifold
BBK shorty headers, ceramic coated
70mm throttle body
Bosch 24lb per hr injectors
MSD 6A ("redbox")

and is wondering if he needs a tune for it? when he bought it there was a chip on the ecu and it got wet driving through a puddle, the ecu was replaced but the chip was never added back and has since been long gone.

now i dont own a mustang and dont know much about their ecu systems but is the computer smart enough to lower injector duty cycle to compensate for the larger injectors? or is this thing gonna need a tune?

also would a tune help it out? custom tune or off mail order chip tune?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also if it needs a tune are there any suggested places in michigan? i know of some big shops in detroit that do tuning, the one in jackson (pauls) said they wont go older than 94... :(

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Most of the time when using larger injectors, changing the MAF is all is needed. Idk what the chip had on it. If it was just a mass produced performance chip. Usually just leans it out a lil, and adds timing. Was it a blue superchips chip?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the time when using larger injectors, changing the MAF is all is needed. Idk what the chip had on it. If it was just a mass produced performance chip. Usually just leans it out a lil, and adds timing. Was it a blue superchips chip?

How do you go about scaling the maf? I used to subaru's so i just plug into the OBD2 port and flash a new tune on there with a scaled MAF.

no idea how to do that or to check if its already been done.

I supposed it would be good to get an afr gauge at this point to make sure it doesnt lean out and start knocking.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You would change the transfer values, no way to check with out PEM of some sort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts