Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im going to be reshimming my 3.55 gears. i have 4.10s that were in my car when i was n/a. should i replace my 3.55s with the 4.10s will i regret it?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I run 3.55s and like 'em a plenty. I'm either hitting rev limiter at 3rd gear or shifting into 4th right at the end of the 1320'.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
ok im going to be reshimming my 3.55 gears. i have 4.10s that were in my car when i was n/a. should i replace my 3.55s with the 4.10s will i regret it?
^answer.......Fuuuuuck No. Do it. That is what I am doing.:D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
with my 3.55s im in the middle of 4th down the 1320' emay tells me 3.73 is the way to go but im thinking i might just go with the 4.10. even though the 4.10 would render my street tires useless.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
I'm still running my 3.55's but I am gonna go with 4.10's. 4.10's are great with centri's. Friend of mine is in 4th with 4.10's and a Paxton running 11.6 at 120. I'm hitting 4th now with my 3.55's so your still shifting 3 times either way

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
3.73's like you said I said.

Your going to struggle big time with street tire traction under boost. If your planning on running a mickey stickey 24x7, then 4.10's. 2 months into driving on a street tire and dancing the car all over the street it grows tiresome.

My 4.10's are coming out as I have 3.73's on the bench to go in..

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Only reason I wouldn't do it is if I thought that you could not handle it. It does take a bit more skill, feel, and throttle control, to maintain traction, but in the end you will be putting more area under your power curve to the track, which should result in much improved times. One can always go with bigger tires too, if you find it to tough to tame. My big ol' DR's bring my effective gear ratio down to 3.84, which was right around my goal of 3.90's.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
It's not a matter of "not being able to handle it" in his case 07Boss. In knowing Ian's working on a budget, not likely to go out and invest in a 17"or 18" DR package, power to the ground on any street tire under boost is not going to happen. Pedal it all you want, even with a centri and all the skill in the world a tire upgrade would be mandatory that's just a fact.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I keep my 3.55 with my whipple, I don't plan on upgrading

·
Registered
662 Posts
3.73's. I can't get traction even with them if I get into it hard and oh forget about wet roads...
IMO 4.10's are a touch to much unless you live in the desert or drag race all day;)

my0.02c

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have 4.11's in my 9" and with a 28" tire and crossing the line at 138 it puts me at 6800 rpm. It is hurting you to be trapping less than your max hp rpm. I used to trap 128 which was only 5600 rpm with a 29" tire.

These numbers were different transmissions as the new one is an automatic.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i run 4.10 and love it!!! and thats on german autobahn. i lost a little top end, but what takes the s/c to spool up, the gears make up for. plus i have absoluty no traction problems at all. DONT FEAR THE GEAR!!!

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
You gonna install the 373's yourself Erin?

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
i run 4.10 and love it!!! and thats on german autobahn. i lost a little top end, but what takes the s/c to spool up, the gears make up for. plus i have absoluty no traction problems at all. DONT FEAR THE GEAR!!!
what kind of blower are you running?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I still have the 3:31s and traction on street tires is almost impossible. I cant imagine it with 3:73s much less 4:10s. I have no plans on changing them anytime soon because i drive 90 miles a day to work and need the extra gas milage.:no

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
with my 3.55s im in the middle of 4th down the 1320' emay tells me 3.73 is the way to go but im thinking i might just go with the 4.10. even though the 4.10 would render my street tires useless.
Interesting. I'm running 3.55s and with my TVS I'm at the very top of 3rd at the end. So I'll either just run off the rev limiter or shift into 4th at the very end. Times pretty much stay the same. When are you shifting? What's your rev limiter?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
an fyi--im running all season street tires
Are you even supercharged??? i dont fear any gear. the police just dont like my traction probs and drag slicks or radials are not feasable in 6 inches of snow!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.