1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
At that power level you will probably use the stock MAF. The kit appears to come with everything else. The chip is good only to quietly drive to a dyno and get the tune checked. It's a non-intercooled system. I really doubt it comes with 60# injectors. Most likely 39# or 42# injectors. By the way, those advertised horsepower and torque numbers are at the block not at the wheels.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
yeah like eagle said, you could get by with the stock MAF. Worst case, get a MAFia and youll be good to roll.

BUT if you do decide to go with an intercooler, my personal opinion is to go with a blow through MAF. I justify it by saying, if a intercooler pipe ever blows loose, as long as its before the MAF itll run fine. And most cases, the piping after the MAF is easy as hell to get too. If it was right after the blower or something, or up in the fenderwell, youd have to really get a jack and fix it.

Fuel pump, just a Focus pump will be fine.

The V3 Si trim is a very efficient blower, and flows more then a T-Trim. So me personally, Id go with a 3.33 pulley. But that might be too much boost and power.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
As for guages I always liked having boost, fuel psi, wideband 02, and oil psi

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I think the most important ones are Wideband and fuel pressure. But wideband will let you know if your going lean if its a fuel pressure issue.

I have a boost/vacuum gauge. Had a wideband because I was in a stage where I wanted to sell the car, so I sold it. Stupid mistake.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
It comes with 38lb injectors. Contact Bob Kurgan at Kurgan Motorsports Kurgan Motorsports - DynoJet, Vortech, SCT Tuning - Kurgan Motorsports - DynoJet, Vortech, SCT Tuning and Performance and for the price of that kit on AM he could hook you up with may upgrades that will support more power for the future like a powerpipe, 60lb injectors, svt focus fuel pump, diablo mafia extender for your maf (or you could pick up a Lightning maf for $85). He is also an Autometer and AEM dealer so you can get your gauges from him too. Your other option is to look for a complete used kit which usually goes for around $2500. A cxracing 31x12x3 intercooler is $300 shipped.

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im looking at getting a procharger kit rather than the vortech. What kind of power are 39lb injectors safe for? im looking for around 350-380 rwhp.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Vortech Si is cheaper and is capable of making much more power than a P1SC if thats what you're looking at. 39lb cobra injectors are flow rated to 42lbs and will get you to 500rwhp.

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to the guy on the phone today. He says I "need" the chip that comes with the kit.. Is this true??

I already have an SF3, and i believe our dyno uses sct so I shouldn't need the chip, correct?

Also, Is the 3 core intercooler upgrade worth it?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Vortech Si is cheaper and is capable of making much more power than a P1SC if thats what you're looking at. 39lb cobra injectors are flow rated to 42lbs and will get you to 500rwhp.
I'm probably a little biased, but I've read a lot of supercharger posts and the guys running Vortech seem to have more problems than the guys running ProCharger. I don't really know but I suspect its because ProCharger comes with a fairly efficient intercooler and its internal gearing allow it to run larger pulleys for the same level of boost.

A basic P1-SC is capable of making more power than the stock internals can handle.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I hear more complaints about prochargers leaking. Yes procharger makes nice ic but the v3 si will support more power

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Here is what I've heard from Vortech users. Draw through complaints. Tuning complaints. Aftermarket intercooler searches. Belt slippages and more belt slippages. BOV problems. Can't get it tuned after installing an intercooler problems. It goes on and on. To be honest if I had been having the continuous problems that some members have I'd have sold my car.

Yes there have been a lot of complaints about a ProCharger leaking. A little of that oil goes a long way and it does make a mess on the hoses. But I never saw any decrease in oil level on the dipstick between 6000 mile oil changes and never saw any drips on the garage floor. I will say I had less problems when I stopped overfilling the head unit but yes it seaped a little oil.

By the way, after I shredded a fan belt and distroyed the front seal I haven't experienced any seapage. That was with 65,000 miles on the head unit. ProCharger rebuilt the head unit for free under warranty. I did have to pay $140 for the replacement of the front seal because they found pieces of fan belt buried in it. Still not a bad price for a rebuilt head unit.

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked to the guy on the phone today. He says I "need" the chip that comes with the kit.. Is this true??

I already have an SF3, and i believe our dyno uses sct so I shouldn't need the chip, correct?

Also, Is the 3 core intercooler upgrade worth it?
bump..

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had my Vortech on my car for 10 years and have not one problem with it. Running 376 RWHP.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Vortech's are good superchargers. They've been in business a long time and have a loyal following. But I've read a lot of complaints about them. Mostly when people have bought the cheap non-intercooled system and are trying to add an intercooler and a smaller pulley later.

The reason most of the Vortech kits are less expensive is they are non-intercooled like the one in the first post. Yes, you can get an aftermarket intercooler and additional piping. That's when most people have problems. The intercooler lowers the boost so to get back to the same power you have to get a smaller pulley. And to avoid a lot of tuning problems its best to switch from a draw through system to a blow through system. But when the bugs are worked out Vortechs run well.

I guess I had just gotten a little tired of when someone says they want a ProCharger someone always has to jump in saying get a Vortech instead. Both are good systems but if you pay the extra for a ProCharger you get the intercooler, additional piping and blow through MAF up front with less probability for belt slippages because of the larger pulley.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I wouldn't say you need the chip Rob. You might want it to be able to start it and drive it to the tuner, just so you can get a better tune with the SCT.

·
Registered
53 Posts
\ Mostly when people have bought the cheap non-intercooled system and are trying to add an intercooler and a smaller pulley later.
True story. I bought mine non-IC. Living in Florida dictated fixing this. Adding the intercooler afterwards was a pain in the butt. After a lot of discussion with my shop, I went with the Paxton A-A, as it is made to work with Vortech S/C's. I love it, it is a massive intercooler, and it does not lose boost pressure like the smaller cheap IC's. I was warned away from cxracing due to boost pressure loses.

If you are considering intercooling your Vortech, get the IC now! The Paxton A-A is great, though I would go with the Vortech's air to water if I had the choice again due to ground clearance problems up front. I haven't had any problems with my Vortech.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Ehhhh everything has its flaws. It depends who installed it. Belt slippage, BOV problems are user faults. Like me. Not being able to get it tuned after an intercooler, well that tuner sucks to be honest.

My belts ripping is simply my fault. Just aggrivating. Belts are too tight, and my tensioner is getting its ass kicked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts