Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finished up the Vortech install and finally got my computer back from Vortech today. I was so disapointed in the performance of the supercharger I just couldnt beleive it. Everything on my car is stock with the exception of the Supercharger, But I ran a 125 shot of NOS for 3 years and it totally smoked this supercharger. Just disapointed right now and dont know what to do I thought this thing would be atleast close to the Nitrous but wow was I wrong. I suppose Now I will be looking for ways to maximize this blower. It is a quality product , but just dont quite have the kick I am looking for. From what I understand it came with a 8 PSI pulley perhaps I need to look at upgrading the pulley. My Auto transmision was also not wanting to shift properly on the chip I was sent. Man i am frustrated!! So from here what is the biggest bang for the buck for me? I just spent several thousand, but need to look at some less expensive options.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
not sure how you can be dissapointed yet. you should get your car tuned rather than run that vortech crap tune. is it going to be an instant hit like nitrous, no but all time power is not to bad. thats not to mention a boosted car dos have its advantages like, never running out, or having the ability to grow later on. sorry to hear your not so happy with it.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
You need to get it dyno tuned and not rely on the chip that Vortech sent you. Your tuner will be able to dial the trans in and get more power out of it safely. Which head unit did you get? What gears does your car have? Do you have a boost gauge? Centri superchargers don't really come on till after 4,000rpms. If you want an instant kick in the pants you would need to have bought a Kenne Bell. Once your foot hits the floor it's at max psi. Get a 4.10 gear if your car doesn't have one. Also get it on the dyno and post a graph. Gear, stall converter, and shift kit will really wake the car up.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
the issue with centri style sc's is they are capable of making lots of power, but the stock motor is not really the strongest on the market so most sc's made for 99-04 mustangs stay pretty conservative especailay if they are non-ic. i can see how you are dissapointed in the soft pull of the centri blower but it is a good start in the right direction to making a fun powerful street car.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up with the V-1 S trim head unit and love the sound of it I can even hear it whine a little while driving. I dont have any other Mods except the supercharger everything else is bone stock. I have 327 gears from what i understand. It is a work in progress I was just hoping for a little better kick. Gears/stall/pulley are in my near future. A dyno tune here will run me aout 800 so I wanted to collect a few parts before heading to the dyno. I would like to max out my stock block with the right parts before going into a forged setup, that way I have all the right stuff to just change over. I never really got to bang on it hard cause of the transmission shifting issues from the Wortech tune!! I supose I need a tune ASAP!!

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i bought this head unit cause it was capable of 20 PSI plus which is my ultimate goal to reach by the end of the summer. I am heading in the right direction, just a little slower then anticipated. I am however happy to have atleast got my foot in the door. So adding a intercooler is going to add more power?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
if your planning on steping up the power i would keep your 3.27's for now. focus on parts that will transfer over and help down the road. build an intercooler, power pipe, and a bbk tb/intake plenum. get some high flow cats, or off road pipes with a decent cat back or weld in mufflers. if i could do it over again i would have ditched the stock crank pulley for a i/w or ati 7.5 inch 8 rib crank. all those parts are good to have with a built motor. after that focus on trans and suspention. you will get there one part at a time.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
$800 for a tune? I'm guessing that you are including the price of a chip or handheld programmer in that $800.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that includes the price of the hand held!!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Dude get a custom tune. AJM went to I think Brenspeed in Georgia. Hes from TN, so do that. Also you should think about doing an intercooler and drop the pulley 2 sizes. If your that dissapointed with it. Get a boost gauge too. **** you can get one at autozone for like $35.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Yes i bought this head unit cause it was capable of 20 PSI plus which is my ultimate goal to reach by the end of the summer. I am heading in the right direction, just a little slower then anticipated. I am however happy to have atleast got my foot in the door. So adding a intercooler is going to add more power?
V1 S won't hit 20psi especially if you get an intercooler. With the absolute smallest pulley possible and an intercooler you'll see about 16-17psi. The V1 is the least efficient of all the Vortech blowers. If I new what a difference there was between a V1 S, V2 SQ, and V3 Si before buying my V1 I would've saved up a few hundred more and at least looked for a used V2SQ. My car would've easily made an extra 10-15rwhp with a V2SQ at the same psi, and 20-25rwhp more with a V3 Si at the same psi.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that sucks I read that this V-1 was supposed to go all the way to 26 PSI. Well I am certain once I bring it all together/cams/etc it will be a awesome combo.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
v1 t trims are close to putting out that much boost threw our motors but even then i would say it is a long shot for a t trim ot push 26 psi with out over spinning it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You said you 'thought' it was an 8psi pulle. Do you have a boost gauge installed? If not, go get at least a $20 el'cheapo from Autozone to make sure you don't have any leaks and are actually building full boost.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
you can get a used handheld tuner for like $175+++ and if your car feels that laggy and slow to you after the install then something has to be off get some gauges to monitor things starting with a simple boost gauge so you at least know if you're having a leak or whatever. !st time hearing someone being disappointed after a blower install unless something was off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts