Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all this is my first post here i hope you guies can help me!! i have a carb 302 and am in the process in converting it to efi with a supercharger. my question to you guies is what do i do with my hole in each valve cover?? i have herd if i don't run a pcv in it that it will blow out the rear main seal.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Just put breathers on them and you'll be fine. You won't blow out your rear main by not running a PCV. If you boost and completely seal the crankcase up, then you could have an issue with some gaskets leaking, or oil shooting out your dipstick tube, but that would depend on the amount of boost and the condition of your rings.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
That all depends on the type/condition of your rings and how much boost you run. If you run a decent amount of boost and have old tired rings, it's a possibility. If that's a possible issue for you, then you can get a catch can set-up.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
got 1200 bucks for a vacuum pump and all the stupid an fittings?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
why are you worried about the rear main? no vacuum from throttle body to valve cover no worries

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess i am not familiar on how the pcv system works. i have been reading that people have had problems with their rear main seals leaking when they added a supercharger.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
because theyre stupid and pressurize the crankcase. Breather on pcv in the back of the intake breather on valve cover cap the tube on the tb

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
provide vacuum on the crankcase, but when you add boost it does the opposite and makes **** leak

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Another option is you run a hose from your valve cover to the air filter housing, that way it still has vacuum under boost. If you leave them hooked up normally when you add the supercharger you'll blow boost down into your valve covers and pvc.....Go to vortech and down load there install manual it shows you about rerouting the vent tube off of the valve covers....I'm unsure if they address the pvc valve in the back of the lower intake though

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
not if its on the out side of the filter, besides not that much oil should be coming through if you have baffels in your valve covers.....Thats how the install manual from vortech tells you to do it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts