Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I shouldn't have posted this here, I did put in general tech but this has far more people viewing, Mods delete if needed!

This question goes out to all you supercharger owners. I recently purchased a 2002 Roush stage2 and a Saleen series IV S/C that I will be adding shortly,I would like to know what heat range and brand of plugs you are all using, I will be running the stock pulley, and am looking for some information from your experiance.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
zex plugs will be a good plug, but just going down a heat range will be fine. how much boost you plan on running?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6-8 psi I do not remembr what the stock pulley pushes.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i think stock is 8psi. i recommend zex plugs or champion 304 one stage colder. the champion 344 is 2 stages colder. others will say ngk tr6 or autolite 103 or ar94

·
Registered
488 Posts
Run the NGK TR6 I would not put Champions in my lawn mower. Sorry just never had anything but bad luck with them.

Never heard of ZEX plugs got a link to some info on those?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
a lot of people dont like champions, but thats all i run in all my stuff. we ran zex plugs in docs old eclipse and i am about to go to them in my mustnag.

little info:

V8 PERFORMANCE SPARK PLUGS
Triple Fire™ Spark Plugs

New performance spark plugs designed specifically for aftermarket cylinder heads

You’ve upgraded your engine with a set of high-performance cylinder heads……now what spark plug do you use? ZEX™ has done the homework for you by engineering a new line of premium spark plugs that feature several new technologies that will maximize your ignition performance and horsepower.

ZEX™ Igniter Core™ Technology uses a center electrode of pure copper, surrounded by a high purity nickel shell for durability. This special construction conducts electricity and heat over 5 times better than platinum and almost 3 times better than iridium. The result is more horsepower producing spark energy and greater detonation resistance than platinum or iridium can deliver. Another groundbreaking development is Clean Fire™ Technology. It uses the spark from all three ground straps to aid in super-cleaning the center electrode. This burns off excess carbon and ensures you get maximum ignition power and superior resistance to fouling, even after hours of idling and stop and go traffic. For engines with aftermarket high-performance cylinder heads, there is not a more powerful spark plug available. For more information about the ZEX™ Triple Fire Spark Plugs or any other ZEX™ product, call us at 1-888-817-1008, or visit us online at Zex.com - Nitrous Performance.

82003-8 (set of 8)82003-1 (single)Application Chart
RACING PLUG TECHNOLOGY FOR THE STREET!

What the other spark plug companies won’t tell you: Old-style, single ground-strap spark plugs have been around since the beginning of the gasoline engine. They are easy to manufacture, cheap, and use old-school technology. Those in the know understand standard plugs are simply a compromise, designed for the average driver.

When you add performance modifications like high-flow air filters, headers, performance exhaust, nitrous, or superchargers, you need stronger spark to maximize the horsepower available from these modifications.
For those serious about performance, ZEX™ has a new spark plug, custom tailored for your level of engine modifications. Using the latest in ignition science, ZEX™ developed two totally new spark technologies that ensure your getting all the horsepower you paid for.
Standard spark plug ground straps are typically made out of a material like nickel. While nickel is very durable, it is not the best choice for transferring spark energy or heat. The more spark energy available at the ground strap, the more power your engine can make. Likewise, the faster the ground strap can transfer heat, the better able it is to resist engine damaging detonation; that pinging sound you sometimes hear when your engine is under load. ZEX™ developed Igniter Core Technology, which puts a copper core inside the nickel ground strap. Copper conducts electricity and heat over four times better than nickel, but would not last by itself in a running engine. With our hybrid design, you get copper’s incredible electrical and thermal properties, for optimum spark and heat transfer, yet still retain a nickel shell for long life and durability; it’s the best of both worlds.
Average plugs rely only on their designed heat range to keep them from fouling. While this is fine for the narrow operating range of stock engines, it’s not the best choice for modified, high-performance engines. ZEX™ developed Clean Fire Technology which not only uses an optimized heat r
ange, but also uses spark from three side-gapped ground straps to super clean the center electrode. This maximizes available ignition power and ensures dependable performance.

When you look at all this new plug technology, its clear ZEX™ has a better choice for those serious about performance. Two different plugs have been developed with optimized heat ranges for the specific modifications and power levels you have. For engines with bolt-on performance parts and computer tuning, up to 400hp, our Power Tune™ Plug is ideal. For those engines with nitrous, blowers, or turbos, our Power Racer™ Plug will maximize performance in engines up to 700hp.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've run champions in a shitload of cars I've owned and never had any problems now as far as Bosh platinum+4's thats a different story.

·
Registered
682 Posts
P1SC Procharger-9 lbs boost. I'm running NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had good luck with NGK also just wanted to toss this out there to see what everyone is using, I have also read that the stock coils seem to be better than any aftermarket coils out there is this true?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah for some reason Bosch plugs in Ford Vehicle simply do not seem to run good at all.

Those ZEX plugs look a little gimmicky to me, they remind me of the Splitfires. I would stick with a NGK TR6 to be honest.

As for COP probably the only ones I would be willing to try would be the new MSD ones. Other than that i would not try the other brands.

I am currently running the DENSO Iridiums in my Procharged F-150 and have had great results wiht them, but will be switching to the NGK's. When i get around to changing them out. I chose the Iridium because changing the plugs on the F-150 is a serious PITA. Especially since it is lifted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah for some reason Bosch plugs in Ford Vehicle simply do not seem to run good at all.

Those ZEX plugs look a little gimmicky to me, they remind me of the Splitfires. I would stick with a NGK TR6 to be honest.

As for COP probably the only ones I would be willing to try would be the new MSD ones. Other than that i would not try the other brands.

I am currently running the DENSO Iridiums in my Procharged F-150 and have had great results wiht them, but will be switching to the NGK's. When i get around to changing them out. I chose the Iridium because changing the plugs on the F-150 is a serious PITA. Especially since it is lifted.
and another problem is the pulled threads I use copper anti seize on all my plug installs.

Reactions: 06GT4RAD

·
Registered
488 Posts
and another problem is the pulled threads I use copper anti seize on all my plug installs.
Yep and I always do it with the engine cold and blow out all the plug holes after removal of the COP and I always use a torque wrench. It take a little more time and is a pita but it is well worth it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always use a torque wrench.[/quote said:
What! theres a torque spec on plugs? jk! :eek: LMAO I think Ford has a torque spec for dash bolts. :D

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
we have had awsome results with the zex plugs, and i highly recommend them. i am going to them when i get around to working and fixing my POS. never heard anything about the stock COP's being better, i hear they just arent enough on the top end.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've had good luck with NGK also just wanted to toss this out there to see what everyone is using, I have also read that the stock coils seem to be better than any aftermarket coils out there is this true?
I've also heard there's very little to gain, if any, with the aftermarket high performance coils.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts