Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying this Vortech supercharger. Nothing drastic for track racing, but something that will give me good reliable power. I'm not too familiar with what it takes to install one and will have to have it installed professionally. If anyone has experience with having one installed on their 99-04 GT, and what it took to install, any feedback will be appreciated. :confused:

Which one has best performance for street ( no track )?

If purchasing kit, what else is needed?

Any other internal upgrades needed?

Labor costs??

Looking at this vortech sq s-trim kit

1999-2004 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L 2V Supercharging Systems

Safely increase your GT's horsepower from 260 to 364 and torque from 302 lb./ft. to 371 lb./ft*.

High Output Supercharging Systems:
The increased boost level, high output supercharger system, features a fully integrated air to water aftercooler approach to charge cooling. This system will increase horsepower from 260 to 402 and will increase torque from 302 lb./ft. to 400 lb./ft.*

Quality Features:
* Vortech gear driven supercharger with SQ technology provides nearly silent operation and unmatched reliability
* Technologically advanced, high-efficiency impeller and housing design developed in Vortech's supercharger text cell
* Fuel management upgrade includes high-flow fuel pump, high-capacity fuel injectors, and EDM Chip
* Integrated air/water, dual-pass charge cooler configuration allows for additional horsepower gains and features maintenance-free design(High output systems)
* Oil feed and oil drain assemblies deliver the best possible lubrication and cooling for the supercharger, even under sustained boost conditions
* Inlet and discharge duct connections utilize heat resistant silicon sleeves and premium quality stainless steel clamps
* OEM-type aluminum mounting bracket for "factory-installed" appearance and rigidity
* High-flow bypass valve provides surge-free compressor operation
* Complete systems are 50-state smog legal under CARB EO# D-213-17 (99) D-213-24 (00-04)

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Install isnt that bad at all especially because its non intercooled! Install it yourself man and thats a nice kit

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
If you can put together particle board home furniture or a kitchen table you can put this thing on.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
blowers are easy to install, especially the non intercooled ones. hardest part of doing a vortech is tapping the oil pan. hardest part of my procharger kit was putting in the fuel pump, or doing the boost gauges and running the wiring.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
blowers are easy to install, especially the non intercooled ones. hardest part of doing a vortech is tapping the oil pan. hardest part of my procharger kit was putting in the fuel pump, or doing the boost gauges and running the wiring.
Where in the engine bay did you connect the vacuum line for your boost gauge? I can't decide where to put mine!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$1500 96-04GT Supercharger kit "how its done" - MustangForums.com follwo that. I came out with everything for under 2 grand . And don't run an aftercooler. From my research it's much more efficient to run a front mount intercooler or even methanol injection."
Wow,..the kit I'm lookin at cost $3650!! Looks like it's more cost efficient to piece one together? Did most of you guys go that route?

With 80k miles, can my engine handle boost without any problems down the road? I've heard to do some internal work before adding blower or there will be problems later?

Dyno tune afterwards? Will my handheld be ok?

I really want to get this right the first time! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your engine will be fine with boost at 80k. Some guys are here are running blowers at 100k plus miles and are fine. Also you won't need any bottom end work on your motor unless your pushing out some pretty beefy numbers...I think 450 is the agreed upon number to start thinking about internal work.

And yes, a dyno tune is needed to get the most out of your setup. And to see what kind of numbers you put down of course :D

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I had my supercharger put on at 80,000 miles and have driven three years and almost 60,000 miles since. I neither had the time nor wanted the frustration of piecing together a kit. I had it professionally installed and the down time on my daily driver was three days. I applaud the effort and time that others do piecing together a kit, but I would set my car on fire if it were down for months being worked on. That's just me, other opinions may differ.

You can run a supercharger on a completely stock motor. Nothing else needs to be done. Centrifical superchargers like Vortech or ProCharger are basically bolt ons. You can buy two types of kits. One is a complete kit. Everything you need is there except for maybe sparkplugs. Or, you can buy a "tuner" kit. A "tuner" kit is inbetween piecing it together yourself and a complete kit. These kits usually do not have fuel pumps, fuel injectors, tuner or chips, and other things that a professional tuner would want to provide himself. Of course, tuner kits are cheaper than complete kits.

If you are not running an intercooler then you will want to limit the boost to 8 psi which should give you around 350 rwhp or 400 hp at the crank. (as advertised). Even with an intercooler most tuners will say to limit a daily driver to 370-380 rwhp (manual transmission). That's 420-430 hp at the crank. Some will say that 450 rwhp is the theoretical safe limit. But, I've also read posts from guys who have blown up their motors at 425-435 rwhp. You cannot safely get to that power level with boost alone.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I bought my Vortech brand new and have installed it on two different Bullitts. It's not hard, but you'll want a second helping hand...it's not really a one person job. It could be, but not as fun. It's a pretty easy bolt on. Vortech's direction suck IMO and when I bought mine it included everything to install it from a '96-'04, so I had to sift through the parts that I needed and didn't need. That's what really slowed me and my buddy down the first time we intalled it. The second time it was pretty much assembled and bolted right on. First time =12 hours Second time =9 hours. It's a whole day event, but well worth the self satisfaction. Basic tools will get you what you need. Only specialty tools you need are a punch and a 3/8's NPT tap. I bought my tap through a friend of the family that deals in that type of stuff, so mine was easy to come by. Sent you a PM, BTW.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I thought the aftercooler was more effective than the front mount intercooler?
maybe in drag racing situations, when you load the reservoir with ice. but for every day drivers and road racers, front mounted air to air intercoolers are best, simply because intake temps are going to be constantly cool.

·
Registered
852 Posts
ok cool, Im just wondering cause the shop im going to does both pro and vortech.
I may just get a procharger system used instead of vortech. Either kit I like, since I only drive my mustang on the weekend since I drive far for work ill just get the procharger.
If not ill get a vortech and switch things around lol.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've been reading this thread since it started and it has me excited to get my supercharging on! I do have a few questions and I hope you guys can help. First question is does a powerpipe replace a air intake kit? I don't want to buy both if i do not need to. I also didn't see a blow off valve or bypass valve, (hope one of those is right) listed in that thread. Are they necessary and if so what do you recommend. Lastly, for now, what inter-cooler do you guys recommend? Thank you for any help you can offer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts