Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about supercharging the 96 cobra but not sure what supercharger to go with or if i should go TT what do you think

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I think they are both very nice. You can't push too much since you have higher compression pistons, but I would go with a procharger.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive changed out the pistons rods and crank with all forged parts the rods and crank turned it into a 5.0 stroker

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
^+1

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I wouldn't go turbo on a stroker motor since they are not the best for high rpm's which is better for turbos. I'd run the centri because of the low-mid range power curve the stroker will have is best suited for superchargers

·
Registered
649 Posts
well with the stroker engine, what does it now redline at? i was considering buyin a fully built 5.0 stroker from my friend that needs new pistons. the build was 10k but he got a bad tune and blew a piston...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not to threadjack, but don't turbos typically get more torque than superchargers? Turbos sound so mean spooled up, but I'm also biased toward superchargers, love that whine!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my mech said he set it for 8.5:1 when he re did the programing and mapping and it redlines around 7k rpm im not sure though havent tested myself cause in afghan but gonna be puttin on a set of termi heads with intake manifold and stage 2 cams

·
Registered
35 Posts
I may be biased on the other end but I say turbo FTW

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'd say supercharger in your case. but If I go on another tour ill prob TT my mach :p

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
my mech said he set it for 8.5:1 when he re did the programing and mapping and it redlines around 7k rpm im not sure though havent tested myself cause in afghan but gonna be puttin on a set of termi heads with intake manifold and stage 2 cams
So he is saying he set the compression ratio with a tune? :eek: Not sure I would trust that guy if that's what he said. Plus turning a stroker to 7k rpm is a little high unless it is a very well built motor and you have the heads,cams and valve springs to handle.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I'd say it depends on how you use the car and what your budget is. My bias is for turbos, they'll make more power, get better fuel economy, and you'll never run into belt issues, but they'll put more heat under the hood, cost more, and be more difficult to install.

For a hot street car, I'd probably go with a positive displacement blower due to the mid-range power advantage. If I ever get boosty with my cobra, that's what I'll probably go with due to the aforementioned powerband, ease of install (relatively speaking), and smog legality.

My opinion is that centrifugals split the difference between PD blowers and turbos. You ge the power band of the turbo (though not as much overall power), with the legality, cost, and ease of installation of a blower. If you're going for top-end power, but can't afford turbos, a centrifugal is what I'd suggest.

Mind you, I don't have much experience around boosted cars, and I've never owned one myself. This is just what I've gleaned from talking to other people and what I've read on this site (and others).

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I wouldn't go turbo on a stroker motor since they are not the best for high rpm's which is better for turbos. I'd run the centri because of the low-mid range power curve the stroker will have is best suited for superchargers
RPMs are less important than the turbo sizing. With a TT setup you dont need huge turbo to make crazy power.

Not to threadjack, but don't turbos typically get more torque than superchargers? Turbos sound so mean spooled up, but I'm also biased toward superchargers, love that whine!
Where a turbo makes its power really depends on the size. Its much easier to customize the size of a turbo than a supercharger. With a TT set you can run smaller turbo and get good low end torque similar to a PD blower and still have the top end like a centri. Also turbo dont put drag on the motor so lb for lb of boost youll make more power.

So he is saying he set the compression ratio with a tune? :eek: Not sure I would trust that guy if that's what he said. Plus turning a stroker to 7k rpm is a little high unless it is a very well built motor and you have the heads,cams and valve springs to handle.
Def agree with getting a different tuner after that comment, but theres not reason a stroker cant rev to 7k RPM. My livernois stroker is rated to 7K and I was told a employee runs his to 8k. The actual stroke isnt changed much. I didnt really see any gains when i switched to mine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok the engine has been bored 20 over has manley pistons and rods and a kellog crank all of which are forged the rods and crank is set to turn it into a 5.0 stroker i bought them my self off dagostinoracing.com had em sent to his shop i told him i was going to order some heads that came off the 03 cobra that wore already ported as well as stage 2 or 3 cams not sure yet but he said he was gonna tune it with an 8.5:1 compression and and have it redline at 7k rpm

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so does he not know what the hell hes talkin about or how should i tell him to do it

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Def agree with getting a different tuner after that comment, but theres not reason a stroker cant rev to 7k RPM.
I understood the comment to mean that the tuner was also the builder and meant that he built it for 8.5:1. Only an idiot would say he tuned the compression!:tomato:tomato:p:eek:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts