Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's finally getting close, I need some more power. I'm looking to find the supercharger kit thats gonna give me some quick low-end torque and i'm wanting to keep the hp levels at high 400's to low 500's because I am still running the stock motor. I've always been interested in the Kenne Bell units but I know Roush has a the TVS which is badass as well. Since I'm looking for quick low-end I think that sort of pushes out the centrifugal superchargers unless someone knows something I don't, also you can't beat the whine that a screw type gives you. Any help in my decision would be great...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
whipple ftw....

orrrr

hellion turbo...................

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Kenne bell!! Ftw

·
Registered
75 Posts
Let me know if I'm wrong, (which I'm sure everyone will), but I think if you get the Roush, or FRPP blower kit installed by your dealer it won't void your warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Let me know if I'm wrong, (which I'm sure everyone will), but I think if you get the Roush, or FRPP blower kit installed by your dealer it won't void your warranty.
You know, im not sure hahaha

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Roots blowers make the most power at low rpms. Twin screw blowers are better, but under ~3000 rpms the roots usually have more power at the same boost. The TS will dominate at higher rpms because its more efficient. Centri blowers will loose bad to a TS at the same boost until about 5000+ rpms. Turbos dominate everything over about 3500 rpms.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who makes a roots type blower? I know kenne bell, roush, and saleen are screw types

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like a twin screw is my best bet than cause its not like the car regularly sees over 3500-4000, only when I'm proving my little 4.6 can beat a big ass hemi :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Edelbrock. Their blowers have long intake runners and make more power than any other blower per pound of boost. At just 5 psi these things are making over 460HP and over 430lbs-ft of torque. Plus, they are fairly simple to upgrade. Only problem is they get heatsoaked pretty good at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car is used as a daily driver so I'm looking for driveability and longevity if that helps on everyone's opinions....I looked at the dyno charts for the tvs and kb, the kb was pretty damn flat

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The car is used as a daily driver so I'm looking for driveability and longevity if that helps on everyone's opinions....I looked at the dyno charts for the tvs and kb, the kb was pretty damn flat
Just make sure you're really looking at a legitimate dyno graph. A lot of tuners like to play with the smoothing factor to make the graph look pretty. As you can see on mine it's set at 0 so you can actually see every little spike and dip. If you're looking at the dyno graphs on KB's website they are just renditions of what the graphs look like so I would look towards people posting their results vs looking at those...

Also a little note about the TVS superchargers. If you look at my graph, look at Map1 which is boost, it shows a max boost level of slightly more than 12. So a lot of people who know no better think my car is running 12 lbs of boost. However, look at the actual graph. Look at where it's hitting 12 lbs, does it maintain that? No, the TVS boost is up and down for whatever reason. My car on a nominal boost level makes slightly less than 11 lbs which is true boost. So just another thing to think about when looking at graphs of TVS cars that they post.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmm...I understand the smoothness that tuners do, I also know that if you are smoothing everything than its also harder to detect belt slip which is a no-no in my book. honestly I've heard good and bad things about everything and the chances of me upgrading my car to 600+ rwhp is crazy, thats way too expensive because i'd more than likely have to look at hardened axles, new tranny, new short block...all that good stuff, I just want high 400's because the factory block can only take a max sustained of about 550 if your lucky, plus all that boost on top of the motor is just asking to pop a piston or sling a rod. The edelbrock seems like a sound decision but its ugly as hell to me, but the boost levels that they run is awesome...god I hate how difficult this is

·
Registered
54 Posts
hmmm...I understand the smoothness that tuners do, I also know that if you are smoothing everything than its also harder to detect belt slip which is a no-no in my book. honestly I've heard good and bad things about everything and the chances of me upgrading my car to 600+ rwhp is crazy, thats way too expensive because i'd more than likely have to look at hardened axles, new tranny, new short block...all that good stuff, I just want high 400's because the factory block can only take a max sustained of about 550 if your lucky, plus all that boost on top of the motor is just asking to pop a piston or sling a rod. The edelbrock seems like a sound decision but its ugly as hell to me, but the boost levels that they run is awesome...god I hate how difficult this is
If I got the Edelbrock I would not use their engine covers. Just the blower. And that is just to allow more airflow over the engine to keep it from getting heatsoaked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out Brenspeed.com for facts and figures

Brenspeed advised me to select a Saleen Stage 3 S/C. It's a constant 9.5psi boost. Good air with cams and LT headers gave me 512rwhp & 467rwtq

·
Registered
82 Posts
Roush TVS.

Hmmm....The TVS kit is getting more tempting by the day. What size pully are you running? I found a TVS kit for $5649.99 shipped. I have an SCT Xcal2 so I'd probably need the VMP tune. I'm playing around with the idea of running the TVS blower and GT500 JLT carbon fiber CAI. That should get the car close to the 500hp at 9-10lbs w/o running the 12lb supplied pulley.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts