Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my plan and tell me what you think. SQ-Vortech at 9psi A/A intercooled. Im planning on keeping her between 360-400rwh. The car will be stock with the exception of the blower. I got off the phone with a local shop and was told to use 60# injectors and not 42#. Also, to use a ford gt fuel pump and not a svt focus. I see alot of people using what i was told not to use. Please give me some feedback.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
im bout to sc my 2000 gt and all these guys on here told me 42lb injectors and the ford gt pump. i plan on staying around 400 also. a local speed shop here in town said the 42lb injectors and ford gt pump was good too.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
pretty sure the 42#ers max out at around 450

If you havent already, make sure you upgrade your MAF...i recommend an ati pro-m 75 or 80mm maf. Or a lightning 90mm maf. I'd highly recommend not buying a MAFia.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sounds to me like someone was trying to get some extra money out of your az. You def do not need 60#'s. Might I recommend checking out the MPH mongoose kit - a couple of buddies and I installed one of these kits last summer and I will be doing mine this summer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
+1 on the MPH Mongoose kit. Well thought out kit and Tim really stands behind his tunes. Our friend made 375 rwhp on a fairly stock 4.6

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Sounds to me like someone was trying to get some extra money out of your az. You def do not need 60#'s.
good point

if they are telling you that you need those injectors...you might want to go with a different shop.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of, I dont want to start a debate here. With that been said, The guy that i talked to was very, and i mean very disapointed when i told him that i went with vortech and not KB. he told me that KB is a better unit when it comes to the mustang. He also said that Vortech creates more heat and its harder on the engine; to tell you the truth, he made me feel dissapointed for buying a vortech. I hope he is wrong. What do you guys with blown stangs think?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Actually he is quite wrong on his statements. A KB is a great blower, but it is harder on a stock engine vs a centri style blower. If your vortec is intercooled, it will be much cooler than a KB.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
OK maybe i should elaborate a bit more on what i just said...lazy right now so i'll cliffnote it lol

A KB or any other roots stlye blower will give you a pretty much instant boost, meaning the moment you punch it you are getting almost peak boost.

A turbocharger needs time to spool up to get to peak boost...its lag and then bam boost

A centrifigual style blower is basically a hybrid between a blower and a turbo...it acts like a turbo building boost but uses a belt to drive it like a supercharger...at lower rpms it will still give decent boost, but does not give full boost until at higher rpms...so its not an instant boost...basically it gives you a very linear boost pattern causing less stress on the engine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK maybe i should elaborate a bit more on what i just said...lazy right now so i'll cliffnote it lol

A KB or any other roots stlye blower will give you a pretty much instant boost, meaning the moment you punch it you are getting almost peak boost.

A turbocharger needs time to spool up to get to peak boost...its lag and then bam boost

A centrifigual style blower is basically a hybrid between a blower and a turbo...it acts like a turbo building boost but uses a belt to drive it like a supercharger...at lower rpms it will still give decent boost, but does not give full boost until at higher rpms...so its not an instant boost...basically it gives you a very linear boost pattern causing less stress on the engine.
thats the reason why i chose vortech. i dont want to be in boost all the time

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
thats the reason why i chose vortech. i dont want to be in boost all the time
You will like the centri setup...just make sure everything is lined up properly...i tore up way too many belts on my old procharger setup because of a bad install. Man i'm really starting to question your tuner, seems like he is just trying to sell you the most expensive stuff.

·
Registered
193 Posts
a mongoose kit will make pleasing power and should be safe with the stock rods and pistons. get the kit and enjoy!

install can be done by yourself. just make sure you have a good weekend to do it if it's your first time. Tim's tune was pretty good out of the box, but our friend took it to him for a dyno tune and it did pick up some nice numbers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
a mongoose kit will make pleasing power and should be safe with the stock rods and pistons. get the kit and enjoy!

install can be done by yourself. just make sure you have a good weekend to do it if it's your first time. Tim's tune was pretty good out of the box, but our friend took it to him for a dyno tune and it did pick up some nice numbers.
he already bought the votech kit. Everyone argues which kit is better...his kit is sufficent for his needs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You will like the centri setup...just make sure everything is lined up properly...i tore up way too many belts on my old procharger setup because of a bad install. Man i'm really starting to question your tuner, seems like he is just trying to sell you the most expensive stuff.
Is this the most common problem when it comes to installation? I will take the whole weekend to install it so i will take my time. Any sugestion or things to watch out for during install?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Biggest thing to watch out when doing any belt driven system is to ensure that the belt is properly aligned. I made a mistake and trusted two different shops to fix my belt problem, neither of them fixed it. Take a straight edge ruler and eye ball it with a fixed pulley like the alternator pulley...it should give you a good idea on if its lined up properly.

The install is pretty straight forward, i've pulled my old procharger setup more times than i care to admit..at this piont i probably could do the install in about 5 hours.

·
Registered
575 Posts
the vortech install is simple, I did my own just take your time and follow the directions step by step. I went to the track sunday for the first time and run 12.30's on street tires and stock suspension spinning through second. you will love it I have no regrets with the vortech.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts