Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my supposedly easy transmission pull is now on day 3. The throwout bearing decided to take a dump on me so I am in the process of changing. But when they had the tranny out for rebuild they must have used one hell of an impact to put it back in cause I have three bolts that won't budge. The two on the top of the tranny and one above the starter. I've tried pb blaster, twister, etc but got nothing. Any ideas on how to get these bolts out would be appreciated.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just installed a clutch in mine yesterday and it took about 5 hours. I took exhaust off first,driveshaft, starter, then shifted in that order. Then I put a jack under the trany, dropped the crossmember. Then I lowered the back off the trany so I could get to the top bolts easier and I removed the top ones first, jacked the trany back up level and removed the bottom. That was my first clutch install and it took no time at all. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last clutch I installed only took me about that long but the tranny was rebuilt and installed by a shop and I don't know if superman installed the bolts or if he used a massive impact cause I can get to the bolts but even my impact won't break them loose. I have everything done just those 3 bolts are keeping me from getting it out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The last clutch I installed only took me about that long but the tranny was rebuilt and installed by a shop and I don't know if superman installed the bolts or if he used a massive impact cause I can get to the bolts but even my impact won't break them loose. I have everything done just those 3 bolts are keeping me from getting it out.
My impact wouldn't break mine loose either, arms and feet got it done with a 1/2 inch breaker bar! :)

Good luck

·
Registered
508 Posts
How did you manage to get a breaker bar up there and have room to move it?
I lowered the tail of the transmission ^^ and used like 4 extensions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions the breaker bar worked after a little bit. 3 days to remove the tranny and 2 hours to put it all back together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts