Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that my first mod will be the suspension. I am thinking of using Eibach springs and Tokico shocks. I was also looking into a coil over kit but I do not understand what the benefits would be. Can someone expain this to me and maybe suggest a specific vendor?

·
Registered
180 Posts
with coilovers you have much more adjustability, i.e. spring rates. (stiffer/softer) and ride height. where as with lowering springs you may get the ride height you want but it may be too stiff or soft.

I've had many conversations with the guys at Maximum Motorsports on mustang suspension..they are a big help and can guide you in the right direction.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Welcome to MM's, mouse :)

Head over to our own ModMustang97GT's Official Suspension Guide and read up a bit.

I would recommend some good full-length weld-in sub-frame connectors as the very FIRST place to start with handling mods. Next, you can look into CO's and he has an excellent explanation of the benefits of them. Your only downside is initial cost to pick them up. Nicer ride and improvement in handling are very nice upgrades.

As for the next move, it really depens on your budget. I would say some poly/spherical LCA's and then need to make a decision as to how far you want to take your ride to rip the twisties.

What are your ULTIMATE goals for suspension?

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
thats right. full length subs are a must! you can put all the suspension parts on you want, but if there all connected to a weak chassis it isent going to do any good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is a 2002 convertible so it has some extra bracing I believe. My goal is to have it handle like a Porsche. I want the best. Budget is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Mine is a 2002 convertible so it has some extra bracing I believe. My goal is to have it handle like a Porsche. I want the best. Budget is not an issue.
used eibach pro's on mine.little lower than what i wanted.ended up with 2x ball joints bump steer kit ect.. if i had to do it over, i would go coil over for adjustability.and get good ones

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
used eibach pro's on mine.little lower than what i wanted.ended up with 2x ball joints bump steer kit ect.. if i had to do it over, i would go coil over for adjustability.and get good ones
PS I used 1993 fox body struts. they are shorter. with coil overs you wont have all my problems.although i finally got mine right.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
First... If you want it to handle like a Porsche, go see Griggs Racing
Second.... it'll NEVER handle like a Porsche, but they will get it beyond your wildest dreams.

If budget is TRUELY not an issue, don't bother with doing ANY mods yourself via springs, struts and such. I run a Griggs GR-40/SLA ride and blows nuts on the twisties :yes

PS. PM me for some additional thoughts on cost and what to expect if you go the Griggs route.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
^ agree with both of the above :yes

You take a ride in a GR-40/SLA ride... you WON'T go back to a stock Stang :no

Give 'em a call and talk to John or Bruce. Tell 'em I sent ya :D

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
damn 13k i wish i had some money to throw around like that wanna give me some lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts