Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 Mach I. I got 20" staggered Foose tire/wheel package on. I want to lower now but need to know how much I can drop now and which springs would be best. Also looking for feedback on the best short shifter to install.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Short shifter = MGW

98% of the people here are not into the 20" wheel look on New Edges so just be prepared.

I would say 1.5" in the back and 1.25" in the front will leave room but give a semi aggressive look.

Stick with name brands. Eibach, BBK, FRPP, Steeda etc.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I can't help you on the suspension question honestly because of the 20's. You will be looking at a very low profile tire there and not too much of a drop. As far as the shifter, the top brands are MGW and steeda. ( IMO) Both have there up's and downs. For a daily driver that dicks around on the street I would get the MGW. It shifts like butter. For someone that actually takes their car to the track once in a while I would go with the steeda. The steeda is just as good as the MGW but it lets you know you hit third gear while the MGW is just a bit too smooth to give you a "yea that is third." if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The ford racing 1.2in drop don't do a whole lot of drop. I know from experience! :( but for 20's would probably be just right. The part number is M-5300-G if that helps. It just barely took anything off the wheel gap and I'm running 17s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you on the 20's but that's what makes each of our cars unique. I appreciate the drop #'s as I heard that amount from locals but looking for confirmation. Thanks on the short shifter as I'm looking for aggressive and fully understand the 3rd thing. I haven't had to the track yet but definately not a daily driver either. I just went over 7k for miles and looking to make some additional mods. I appreciate everyones feedback

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I hear you on the 20's but that's what makes each of our cars unique. I appreciate the drop #'s as I heard that amount from locals but looking for confirmation. Thanks on the short shifter as I'm looking for aggressive and fully understand the 3rd thing. I haven't had to the track yet but definately not a daily driver either. I just went over 7k for miles and looking to make some additional mods. I appreciate everyones feedback

:shitbrick

·
Registered
692 Posts
is thier a short shift instal write up somewhere? how hard is it to do for the inexpeirenced?

also how much will it take of your 1/4 time?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
dhbb... The amount you can drop, is going to be determined by two things...

What size are the tires (include profile height) and what are the width and off-set of your wheels?

Jazzer :)

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,555 Posts
You can go as low as 2" if you want. I suggest H&R Super Streets without the iso's. That will lower the car around 1.75" which gives it a great stance. I will also suggets that you get somme camber/ caster plates. I like the Maximum Motorsports C/C plates.

I know you have purchased wheels and tires already but you are really hurting yourself in the performance and ride quality. I hope that maybe I can convince you in to repalcing them with something in a smaller diameter. What you would gain would be well worth it. There are plenty of bad ass wheel manufacturers out there that can make you a unique set of wheels. They just cost money.

As far as a shifter goes I have had both the Steeda Tri-Ax then I switched to an MGW. The MGW is an excellent product. Virtually no issues with shifting into third gear. Either way, good luck and happy modding.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
< Types too slow and has Window open too long :(

You cannot drop your car 2" with the current set of tires on it, so please read below :D

Fronts = 27" diameter
Rears = 27" diameter

OEM sizes for your car are 25.6". This means you have 3/4" less clearance around your fenders and an equal amount of additional ride height. This is gonna limit your potential drop, but would not go beyond 1/2" or so without some SERIOUS cyphering on your existing clearance. I can help you to figure out the front clearance, but testing the rears can be found in my Choosing a new tire thread. Look under "I want fat meats" section for a complete breakdown of how to confirm the clearance you have and therefore the clearance you have left... if any :(

Do you have ANY rubbing at ANY time currently?

·
Registered
691 Posts
jazzer reps for the willingness to help, im his son and heading over there tonight, ill check for signs of rubbing and get back to u. im not sure how often he will be on MM but im keeping an eye on his thread for him. if i recall correctly, i think i saw some signs of his rear tires hitting his exhaust(do not touch at a stand still, im assuming as he's bumping around they occasionally knock)
and to everyone who doesnt like 20's on a new edge u can suck it and rant about people who put 20's on a new edge in the burnout box. everyone gets to do what they wanna do to their car, keep ur opinion about that to urself, he didnt ask about changing his wheel size

·
Registered
691 Posts
i was correct about the rear and just got here and checked the front, the only sign of rubbing is on the fenderwall, if you get eye level with the wheel, its straight back in from the rear of the tire

·
Registered
691 Posts
im guessing with the additional height of the tires that that will subtract from the amount of drop possible with his mach, would that be correct?

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Instead of guessing at what will or will not work why not go out and measure your wheel house. Figure in how much bump you think you'll have and ad it in.

You can also buy a Percy's wheel rite tool to make sure your measurements are correct or you can build your own if you don't want to spend the money.

John

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
im guessing with the additional height of the tires that that will subtract from the amount of drop possible with his mach, would that be correct?
Worded funny, but yes... :yes

The tires are 1.5" (.1mm short of that, actually :D) and means that you are kinda behind the 8-ball in terms of lowering his ride. You need to drop 3/4" just to get back to OEM height and have lost an equal amount of clearance to boot :(

Q: Does the car have ANY suspension mods and how much is your pappy lookin' to drop his ride?

PS. What is the ULTIMATE goal for your Dads car?*

*Had to take ownage of my line before John does :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
the car has no suspension mods as of now, his goal for lowering it is just to give it more of an aggressive stance and close the gap between the fender and the tire. he's going more for looks than functionality, but also doesnt want to completely compromise his ride quality if at all possible. he doesnt really have a number in mind, thats what this thread was for, to get some idea of how much he can drop it.

he's not going to crazy on this stang, he is actually pretty close to his ultimate goal, it already has a full exhaust setup(although he wants bigger tips) a set of wheels that HE LIKES, and a nice paint job. he also has a cai sitting in the garage waiting to be put in, i think after he lowers it and gets a dyno tune thats as far as he's going. it doesnt get driven a whole lot(about 1k miles a year or so) he just wants it to look good

·
Registered
691 Posts
i should also add, when he put the wheels on the car he almost lowered it then, les schwab told him he could go no more than an inch in the rear and 1.25" in the front, he would really like to know if thats really all he can get or if he can go lower
oh, just a sidenote i think he settled on the tri-ax shifter

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I had the tri-ax and always wished for an MGW... The tri-ax is notchy and decently short, but the MGW feels much nicer and is a bit less throw. Plus the handle is really nice. If I could get one now, I would. I don't know if that's worth anything at this point, but I don't have a tri-ax anymore, and I don't miss it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts