Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am replacing my front shocks when i do my sportlines this weekend. i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for tourqe specs for the front and rear suspension pieces?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the when replacing the stock panhard bar w/ BMR one tourqe the bolts down to 130 Ftlbs

what about the 4 little nuts and one big one that is on top of the shock?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
WHen you do do it will you post pics because im trying to figure out springs for my GT/CS and thinking Sportlines might be a lil too low.

Give it a lil tons of people have done the shocks they will speak up.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
It doesn't matter what the torque spec is for that center bolt because you can't measure it anyways. When tightening or loosening that bolt you have to hold the shaft from spinning. You can't get a conventional torque wrench on it anyways so just tight like the German engineers do, goodentight. Yes you can use an impact gun on it. I did. Don't mess with the 4 little strut mount bolts unless you are changing out the strut mount also. Which, by the way, I think the Ford service manual says to do whenever changing struts or springs, but hardly any body does.

The easiest way to change your front springs: Put front end up on jack stands. Undo/loosen up the brake line brackets and all of that stuff. Then put a jack under the A-arm and jack it up to support the suspension. Undo that center bolt and slowly let the jack down and the strut and spring will clear the mount. Undo bottom strut bolts and remove the strut & spring. Replace spring & strut, bolt uo bottom bolts to 148 ft/lbs, and then proceed to jack the whole assembly back up into the strut mount tighten that center bolt and your done. Well button everything back up. Just remember to line up the end of the coil spring to the upper mount as your jacking it in place.

By the way do you have camber bolts?

The rear upper shock mounts are the same deal with the spinning shaft. Just take a look at the rubber bushing and how compacted it is and then when you replace the shocks. Tighten down that bolt until you get the bushing to compress to the same height and consider that torqued to spec. Torque the bottom bolts to 85 ft/lbs.
If you really want to know, the front center bolt should be torqued to 46 ft/lbs, and the rear upper bolt should be torqued to 30 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.