Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so i plan on doing front tubular k member...which i want to convert my front end to coil overs...the motor will weigh prolly 200 250lbs with heads.....now im curious on how the spring weight for coil over works....idk if its any different from regular front suspension...now also i was considering doing a rear coil over setup with the proper mounting brackets that i can get from a buddy....now the car will be street driven, to drag strip occasionally....now im still not sure on rear coil overs but im considering them....i know there are drag shocks/coil springs for drag race setups.. now i dont know if those would be the ones i need to look at or not...i dont want complete stifness or to much bounciness if you know what i mean...i plan on running 335-345/30/18's out back..yes im aware of whats needed and the work involved and thats it a big ass tire i know.....i have been looking at double adjusting coil over shocks from strange?? brands, spring rates and what not..if you guys can help me out on it id greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
If its a 14-150 spring its 14" long and it taked 150 Lbs of force to compress it 1 inch.

For a More of a Drag Setup i would recommend 150s up front but it might be a little loose depending on what you want the car to feel like, with a 175lb being more a streetable spring rate.

As far as the rear idk what i would reccomend its all on the Driver and how you want the car setup. I personally like i loose in the fron and stiff out back but everyone is different and will give you different opinions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hey man i really appreciate you responding to this...seems like noone else will...but no its gonna be more of a street car then drag...just didnt want it to stiff or to loose ya know...but thank you again man...but ill be using 12-xxx setup instead of the stock 14's i think...2 inch drop or something like that..but thanks again man. oh and before i forget....i know some sites like team z and what not will have the stroke 5.00 and 5.88?? what is that exactly..that one idk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok what bout 12" inchers?? like 12-175 or so....same thing just 2 inches shorter on the shock and spring> or? ill be running 18's and also what is the 5.00 and 5.88 stroke??? team z lists that idk what that exactly....

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I believe its how much travel the shock has, Or maybe how much adjustment you have on the coil over.Im not 100% As im still learning about coil overs also.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so are coil overs supposed to be more stiff? or it just all depends on the spring rate.?? i was suggested 250lbs for street/strip use.....now i have h&r super sport springs now and i love how it handles but want it in coil over though.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I just did coil overs and the ride is BAD ASS!! Granted i did a tq arm and phb too (MM max grip), but its a totally different beast. Its a tiny bit more bumpy, but hardly any different that stock until you jerk the steering wheel hard into a corner:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ic ic..now do you have an aftermarket k member 2 or no?? also like how is it in a straight away to when your turn corners...????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts