Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I joined this forum because I recently acquired a 95 mustang to put a Nationwide series Roush Yates engine in and I'm wondering how far I'm gonna need to go with suspension upgrades. I thought about doing a 4 link with tubs since I'm looking for a street-strip setup but I'm wondering if i need all that at all. The engine dyno'd at 810/550. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You are going to need a full suspension upgrade more than likely. What do you plan on doing with the car? Drag racing? Autocross?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You are going to need a full suspension upgrade more than likely. What do you plan on doing with the car? Drag racing? Autocross?
What he said. Do subframe connectors, upper and lower control arms, nice shocks, maybe a new subframe and coil overs in the front end. With power like that you should be looking at brake upgrades too. Check out americanmuscle.com

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen! j/k... It sounds like you got a beast on your hands! I think brakes should be your first upgrade. With the measly 370 I'm putting down my stock 2 piston brake system has a hard time slowing me down. Your brakes will fade completely with that much power.

Tubbing the rearend is great for a drag car but it won't serve you well on the street. Not saying it isn't going to be "streetable", I see tubbed out 'stangs on the street all the time. Most of those guys I talk to at cruise ins say it's a chore to drive something like that on the street.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You might want to give Maximum Motorsports a call. Hell, Roush even. They do deal in Mustangs, afterall. Brakes? With that much power maybe Brembo?

Whatever you do, give that saddle a few extra tugs. And hang on!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen! j/k... It sounds like you got a beast on your hands! I think brakes should be your first upgrade. With the measly 370 I'm putting down my stock 2 piston brake system has a hard time slowing me down. Your brakes will fade completely with that much power.

Tubbing the rearend is great for a drag car but it won't serve you well on the street. Not saying it isn't going to be "streetable", I see tubbed out 'stangs on the street all the time. Most of those guys I talk to at cruise ins say it's a chore to drive something like that on the street.
Out of curiosity why would tubbing the car make it harder to drive on the street?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
401 Posts
The guys tell me that if they run into rain or a wet road things get interesting. Also if their tires pick up any kind of dirt or sand it sucks as well. This of course being with a slick or a slick with tread grooves cut into it (aka ET Streets). Nothing "hard" about it really, just a pita sometimes.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Oh that has nothing to do with it being Tubbed then. That's all to do with the tires. If you put normal street tires on I'm sure it would be fine.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Oh that has nothing to do with it being Tubbed then. That's all to do with the tires. If you put normal street tires on I'm sure it would be fine.

Yup, let's see you run a regular street tire on a PROPERLY tubbed and axle narrowed rear end. It might work but it would be the most hideous looking car on the road! The wheels would be sitting inward quite a lot.

However, I suppose you could buy a wheel with a lot of offset to compensate.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Well, with that much power you're really going to expose how flexy the chassis is, and you're going to want a heck of a lot more rear grip.

How much did you budget for suspension?

What would be ideal are over-and-under SFCs like Griggs sells (or can be done yourself if you've got fab skills) combined with a 6-pt rollbar (I'd say 4-pt, but when you hit the rollbar requirement for NHRA, I believe 6-pt is minimum). If you can't do the over-and-unders, and least get weld-in full-length SFCs like you can get from MaxMo or Steeda.

You're going to want to reinforce the torque boxes.

For grip, I would recommend going with one of the Team Z rear suspension kits. Front is much less important unless you're going to be pushing it in the corners, running under the assumption you're not your primary goal with front mods is reducing weight. Also, it should be obvious, but tires, tires, tires. Best suspension in the world doesn't mean a damn thing if you're putting the car on all-seasons.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Yup, let's see you run a regular street tire on a PROPERLY tubbed and axle narrowed rear end. It might work but it would be the most hideous looking car on the road! The wheels would be sitting inward quite a lot.

Or you just run a wide wheel with a wider tire out back.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts

Nah. Mickey Thompson and a few other companies make tires big enough to fit a mini tub. And I'm talking about street tires. My co-worker has a tubbed 60's chevelle and he has 31x16 street tires on it. Fine in the rain...

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Pics of said car/motor

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts