Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM just wondering how much it should cost to install springs struts shocks and cc plates. local shop wants 500 does that sound right?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
$20.00 if you do the work yourself.

It really is a simple job.. it just seems hard.

It can all be done with hand tools with the exception of the spring compressor which you can rent from auto for around $20.00

·
Registered
852 Posts
parts included, oem parts, you're supplying the parts?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Find a local mustang person to do it with you and provide him with beer because it's easy.
You don't need a spring compressor if your careful and patience. You can even search for step by step install instructions for the springs/shocks/struts and cc plates or hit up maximum motorsports website and check out there instructions as a guide for there cc plates etc and follow there directions loosely unless you have the exact same product

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so my problem is that ive actually got the compressor rented it from auto zone it just seems everything i do to this car is a problem. got my flaming river rack and im having issues getting this straight. i might give it a shot how hard is it though to get the cc plate aligned or do i just take it to the shop after?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I don't use spring compressors.. I've done three cars with just another set of hands. In short here's how i basically do them.

With the car up on jack stands, unbolt the caliber, zip tie it out of the way so you don't damage the brake line.

Put a floor jack under the a arm. Jack it up until the jack is against the arm but not pushing it up.

Take the nut off the top of the strut

Unbolt the strut from the spindle now you should be able to wiggle or pull the strut out of the car. If not no big deal.

With the jack holding all the weight of the a arm, you just very very slowly lower the jack down little by llittle until the a arm is low enough all the tension is taken off of the spring. If you don't do it very slowly the spring could shoot out and take your head off.

Now the spring will either fall out or if 20 year old stocker you'll have to carefully pry on it with a large screw driver or pry bar til it pops out of the seat but that's it.

Put new spring it, jack up slowly and have someone else guide the spring into the seat then attach strut etc.

It's not hard. The cc plates aren't hard neither especially if you have the instructions but you will need to get the car re aligned asap.

I'd only suggest you doing this if your a careful type of person like myself

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you think this could be done 4-5 hours for a beginner. i mean thonly thing that confuses me are the cc plates and the rear springs basically i just need to make sure the ends of the top of each spring are facing the axle. so actually they should face the same way the ends should face the left side on the car not face each other is that only on the rears or the fronts too. My kit only says the rear.:eek: im just thourough and i hate to do work twice is all.

·
Banned
464 Posts
I don't use spring compressors.. I've done three cars with just another set of hands. In short here's how i basically do them.

With the car up on jack stands, unbolt the caliber, zip tie it out of the way so you don't damage the brake line.

Put a floor jack under the a arm. Jack it up until the jack is against the arm but not pushing it up.

Unbolt the strut from the spindle now you should be able to wiggle or pull the strut out of the car. If not no big deal.

With the jack holding all the weight of the a arm, you just very very slowly lower the jack down little by llittle until the a arm is low enough all the tension is taken off of the spring. If you don't do it very slowly the spring could shoot out and take your head off.

Now the spring will either fall out or if 20 year old stocker you'll have to carefully pry on it with a large screw driver or pry bar til it pops out of the seat but that's it.

Put new spring it, jack up slowly and have someone else guide the spring into the seat then attach strut etc.

It's not hard. The cc plates aren't hard neither especially if you have the instructions but you will need to get the car re aligned asap.

+1 this is how i've always done it... i also use one of my legs to push on the spring so if it does pop out it wont come out at my head...

·
Registered
978 Posts

this is a good write up.......hell im gonna try it when i get back myself!! thanks bro

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
+1

Though to start, just put the CC plates all the way back and in (max camber, max negative caster). And when you get it aligned, keep as much caster as you can unless you have good reason not to. Shoot for 4 degrees or more (I run ~4.5).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts