Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about doing some suspension upgrades on my 99 gt. I am trying to get some lower ets and I think I’ve gotten the most out of my stock suspension. When it comes to suspension I really am a novice. I’ve already got Eibach lowering springs on my car and upper and lower control arms by BMR. I’ve already decided I want to get full length sub frame connectors, just not sure what brand. As far as shocks and struts I really have no idea what I want. I would like something that will help in the 1/4 mile, but not totally destroy its street manners. I am thinking I will want some sort of adjustable shock. Also, I’m thinking I will just upgrade the rear suspension for now. Unless the budget allows for both the front and rear. What are your guys suggestions?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hey merry christmas, i cannot give you a recommendation on a drag spring, but i will recommend either a koni yellow single adjustable (i love mine) or a strange 10 way. My konis worked well with my eibach prokit springs, my H&R SS springs, and now my maximum motorsports 275 front coil over conversion with my maximum motorsports Torque arm 42 springs in the rear. My suspension is over kill though.

I do recommend the versatility of my shocks though.

What kind of 60 ft are you running at the track?

For subframe connectors, maximum motorsports are a really good bang for the buck and they are full length.

Reactions: Hawaiianbro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Wasn’t sure if I would get any responses over Christmas. My best 60’ on the current setup is 1.89. That’s with nitto 555R drag radials. Would either of these effect the handling of my car in a bad or way or not. I guess that is what the adjustability is for though. Do you think it would be a bad idea to just do the back for now or would you do the front and back at the same time? Thanks for the subframe recommendation. I will def look into them. Hope you and your family had a great Christmas as well!

·
_
3,787 Posts
I also have full length sub frames from MM, love em and highly recommend going that route.

As for your last question, I wouldn't touch the front end. If anything, remove your sway bar, end links, and install matching struts with the shocks you choose. I ran the Strange 10 way shocks for a while, not a fan. Lot of NVH and not much flex on lower settings. Ended up with a set of KYB AGX shocks and struts and love them. They are highly adjustable and affordable.

As for the rear end, the upper and lower control arms come first, also remove those quad shocks and quad shock mounts if you have not already. As for springs, stock springs work well, otherwise Eibach sells a great drag spring w/ airbags. Personally I would replace your rear spring with the stock spring, rake the car out a little. Running relocation brackets for the LCAs help a lot as well.

Your 60 foot time is not bad, you are on the mark, especially for street radials. From here I would install a 2 step, drag radials and higher gears to get a faster 60 foot and lower ETs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info on the strange 10 way. I was thinking about going that route, but after you said that I found a lot of info on those shocks and guys complaining about noise.

If I would put in the stock springs with aftermarket shocks/struts would the ride height be lower than factory? I can’t stand the stance from factory.

Also, how do coilovers compare to regular shocks/struts. They are quite a bit more, but are they that much better?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Thanks for the info on the strange 10 way. I was thinking about going that route, but after you said that I found a lot of info on those shocks and guys complaining about noise.

If I would put in the stock springs with aftermarket shocks/struts would the ride height be lower than factory? I can’t stand the stance from factory.

Also, how do coilovers compare to regular shocks/struts. They are quite a bit more, but are they that much better?
No, the springs determine the ride height.

Coil overs are expensive but allow for ride height adjustment, their stiffness is changed using different hyper coil spring rates. The adjustable shock just changes the dampening characteristics.

Personally i would do the advice above the koni yellow single adjustables are good because the fronts can be converted to coil overs down the road with the maximum motorsports conversion kit if desired. I am not sure about the kyb adjustables though. They probably could be as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were to go with coilovers, would I be able to do just the rear and the front later or would that not be smart? Also are coilovers noisy?

If I were to go that route what spring rates would you suggest? It’s not a daily driver by any means, but it does see the track a couple times a year, hopefully more in the future.

Sorry for all the dumb questions. As the thread states, I am a newbie to suspensions and want to make sure that I make the right decision the first time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If I were to go with coilovers, would I be able to do just the rear and the front later or would that not be smart? Also are coilovers noisy?

If I were to go that route what spring rates would you suggest? It’s not a daily driver by any means, but it does see the track a couple times a year, hopefully more in the future.

Sorry for all the dumb questions. As the thread states, I am a newbie to suspensions and want to make sure that I make the right decision the first time.
Rear coil overs on our cars are for looks, or for very serious builds where you need to drasticly change the geometry (or you just need to extra space).

Your best bet is front coil overs, and decent rear springs with adjustable shocks.

You can do front and rear at different times, but it will probably affect drivability.

·
_
3,787 Posts

No question is a dumb question. It would be smarter to do fronts first, to save the weight, than rears if you feel the need to do it. Weight savings is the primary reason for coilovers, otherwise a good set of shocks springs on the rear are all you need.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

Rear coil overs on our cars are for looks, or for very serious builds where you need to drasticly change the geometry (or you just need to extra space).

Your best bet is front coil overs, and decent rear springs with adjustable shocks.

You can do front and rear at different times, but it will probably affect drivability.
I agree with that statement, rear coilovers are for serious business. I ran my front coil overs with 275# hyper coils and had H&R SS springs in the rear before I added the panhard bar, torque arm, and torque arm springs.

The main thing you need to look at if doing coil overs and springs is to make sure the spring rates match. For example, i have 250 or 275# coil overs in the front, and 375# springs in the rear. The coil overs provide a higher spring rate on a lower # rated hyper coil. They have conversion tables on maximum motorsports to figure this stuff out. coil overs will have a little noise, but nothing i would consider annoying by any means. I rate it far more tolerable than flowmaster exhaust, or poorly setup 4.10 gears, lol.

Your 60ft time is damn good for your tires. Do you spin at all during the launches? Some guys run a upr tubular K member/A arms and drag rated coil overs in the front with drag springs in the rear. Just need to make sure your spring rates on your coil overs and coil springs match, and that they both match the spring rates of your shocks/struts.

If y2k02gt or Froush chime in, they will have a better answer in the drag 60' department, mine is setup more with handling in mind

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I am leaning towards the QA1 Shocks and struts, single adjustable. Maybe the front coilovers after some more research. We will see.

As of now I am thinking about doing the shocks struts, caster camber plates, and full length sub frame connectors. Is this what I would need to go along with the shocks/struts or am I missing something?

Snorky, on a good launch i don’t get to much wheel spin, and they hook pretty good. The tires are about shot though. Not sure how far down I can take them. There isn’t much more tread on them.

FYI, my mods are
Stage II cams
CAI
Accufab plenum
4:10 gears
BMR uca and lca
McLeod super street pro clutch
Nitto 555R tires

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Your list of shocks, struts, cc plates, and connectors is a good start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts