Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my back right tire has started to rub when I make right turns. I changed both my rear shocks and that seemed to help a little bit but it still rubs when I am taking right turns... Now I know we do not have struts on our cars and since I have already changed the shocks, I am wondering what else can I do that could possibly prevent the rubbing??
btw..i have 18 by 10's all the way around...and i have had the tires for a little over a year and they are just now starting to rub....so what do yall think i need to change or add to make the rubbing stop??

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
Only other thing I can think of are control arms. Lower control arm to be exact.

But, I'm no pro as to if it would cause your tire to rub if it never did before. :dunno

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Not sure... my car is pretty low and I stick some turns following the import guys with no rubbing...

What do you have for rear suspension?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do we already have lower control arms on our cars, or are they like an extra? and idk a lot about suspension but i have my 2 rear shocks and its stock height not lowered, and yeah thats all i know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright ill look into changing those then....and I remeber hearing something about wheel spacers and they could possibly stop the rubbing?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
If its stock height ....

Something is wrong :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
****....this is why im afraid to spend that kind of money on turboing my car...some **** is always going wrong lol.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Missing a bolt. Check your upper control arms in the back. We had a 97 in the shop the other day that was doing that and the arm to body bolt was missing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went ahead and ordered a new set of lower control arms from AM but im afraid that's not gonna fix the rubbing, because I just have a feeling im gonna need new upper ones too.
And what do you mean "what are the wheel specs"? the tire size is like 245/18/39 or something close to that, ill check tommorow to be sure.
And no aftermarket suspension parts, just replaced the rear shocks but that's all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How can I tell if it's bad springs?? Because if that is the case I might as well just buy new lowering springs

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
You should stop buying **** for no reason just to let you know...

What kind of Lowers did you order, did you take into consideration how they will effect your car's handling , dd, drag racing characteristics? - prob not

Measure twice cut once!

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
How bout you raise the car and check everything out back there?
Look at everything connected to the axle assembly and I'm sure you'll be able to see what's wrong if only 1 tire is rubbing.

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
You should stop buying **** for no reason just to let you know...

What kind of Lowers did you order, did you take into consideration how they will effect your car's handling , dd, drag racing characteristics? - prob not

Measure twice cut once!
Same thing I was thinking! This guy must have money to just throw away!

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Look under the ****ing car..

Stop buying **** and stop worring about all the wheel specs ****. Stop ASSUMING things are broken. Get it in the air high enough to get your ass under the car and look at the suspension. It's not that hard..

Let me break it down.

You'll need:

(1) Jack
(2) Jack-stands

How to:

Place the jack under the rear pinch weld(1) just behind the edge on the side skirt. Lift vehicle with Jack. (Instruction for jack can be found in the jack's owners manual, or on the jack itself) When the vehicle is high enough to crawl under, place a jack-stand where it will not support the rear suspension. IE: At the base of the lower control arm where it mounts the the sub-frame(2).

Repeat these instruction for the other side.

Then simply look for missing or broken parts.

Illustrations:
(1)

(2)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lmao. I didin't order new springs I was just saying I might as well get some while im at it. And I don't consider "throwing" the money away if it's going in my car haha.
But ill check it out today and let ya'll know what I find.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And to tell if the control arm is bad I would just jack the car up, take the wheel off, and grab the control arm and give it a tug if it shakes a lot it's bad right?

·
Registered
487 Posts
And to tell if the control arm is bad I would just jack the car up, take the wheel off, and grab the control arm and give it a tug if it shakes a lot it's bad right?
not necessarily the arm but probably the bushings. idk how to tell if the springs may be wore out btw. i guess you could look and see if they are messed up or cracked anywhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts