Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 01 GT . I LOWERED THE CAR BY CUTTING 1 COIL FROM EACH SPRING, SUBFRAME CONNECTORS , STRUT TOWER BRACE , 4 SHOCKS IN REAR REPLACED AND THE FRONT STRUTS WITH PERFORMANCE ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL THE WAY AROUND . CANT REMEMBER THE SHOCKS BUT ITS 1 OF THE POPULAR ONES , THE CAR ONLY HAS 60,000 MILES . THE PROBLEM IS THE CAR RIDES LIKE CRAP NOW I HAVE THE SHOCKS SET AT 5 , THEY GO FROM 1 TO 10 . I HAD 4 BOLT CASTER CAMBER PLATES IN THERE BUT HAD A BANGING NOISE I COULDNT GET RID OF SO REINSTALLED ORIGINAL STRUT MOUNTS AND NOISE IS GONE . BUT THE RIDE SUCKS . SHOULD I GO WITH A SET OF AFTER MARKET SPRINGS ? ANY HELP APPRECIATED. I REALIZE MIGHT LOSE SOME RIDE QUALITY BY LOWERING BUT IT RIDES BAD .

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
ALL CAPS BROTHA!

GET NEW SPRINGS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SPRINGS

Replacing springs was my thought to , which springs do i get . i want the car lowered but want to get a decent ride and some cornering cabability. The shocks and struts are kyb. what about the bump steer rods ?

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
When you say it rides bad, do you mean that it's uncomfortable or that you get a "bouncy" feeling when cornering?

Your spring rate and your shocks/struts needs to match. Also, the kyb shocks/sturts are the cheapest ones out there so don't really expect your car to ride like a Cadillac. :lol

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
when you cut a coil off a spring, you stiffen the spring rate, which will cause it to have a rougher ride.

Get rid of the cut springs, I've had Eibach and H&R. Out of the two, I'd recommend the H&R's, they road great and gave my car a hell of a stance!

·
-- Logan --
2,202 Posts
Holy cap locks batman...

i'd say its the springs, as others have recommended. I have H&R SS springs and they are pretty good. Just dont expect it to ride like a Cadillac, when your wanting a lowered car and wont be using coil overs or bags.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
springs

Ok great i think im gonna replace the springs , the best way to describe the ride is rough . has anyone tried the sr springs american muscle has , i read the reviews and they sound pretty good .

·
Registered
303 Posts
Go with the H&Rs. Either race or SS springs. I have the H&R SS and they are amazing. Now, you should try to find out what struts/shocks they may clear up some stuff.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If you build it to be a racecar; it will ride like a racecar.

Stock spring rate is front 450#, rear 210#. Most aftermarket spring rates are front 650#, rear 250#. The stiffer spring rates will make your car ride rougher. Progressive springs such as Eibach should have a softer ride. You might try setting those your shocks/struts to 1 and then adjust them upward to get a better ride.

·
Registered
784 Posts
well i have the eibach pro kit aka the ford racing (fms-m-5300-f) comes in the eibach pro kit box and just has ford racing part number and sticker on the box and the springs say eibach right on them great springs on the street nice ride but a little too soft for the track if looking to race your car ( i prefer straight spring rates for race track and proggressive on the street) and you can keep your shocks and struts if you are looking to replace the cc plates i reccommend the bbk ones but they are NOT compatitble with coil overs so just to keep that in mind

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
coil over

I was thinkin about doing coil overs , i seen some kits on ebay , they have eibach springs and priced pretty decent.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would avoid any and all ebay parts. I have BBK springs and Tokico blues, as well as a Steeda strut tower brace, MM FLSFC's and a MM pan hard bar and RLCA's. My car rides firm and handles well. Its not a rough ride, but not a soft cushiony ride either. If I were you I'd call up Maximum Motorsports and get either there starter or sport grip box. And stay away from cheap parts, they're cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Lowering springs have a stiffer spring rate, so lowering ones will ride nicer. By cutting a cool off the stockers, the stock spring rate is weak. So now you have a lowered car with shitty spring rates.

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
I would avoid any and all ebay parts. I have BBK springs and Tokico blues, as well as a Steeda strut tower brace, MM FLSFC's and a MM pan hard bar and RLCA's. My car rides firm and handles well. Its not a rough ride, but not a soft cushiony ride either. If I were you I'd call up Maximum Motorsports and get either there starter or sport grip box. And stay away from cheap parts, they're cheap for a reason.
Maximum Motorsports are on eBay also

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts