Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 GT with H&R Supersports and 3-bolt Caster/Camber Kits with bumpsteer kit. Since I installed all the suspension parts I have a rattle in the front shock tower, the left does it a little but mostly on the right side...the noise sounds high in the tower. Has anyone ever had this problem before? It is bugging the crap out of me, every time I hit a bump and the suspension bounds it pops. I checked, double checked, and triple checked all the bolts, looked for rub spots on paint and cant come up with anything...SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, ITS DRIVING ME NUTS.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a 03 GT with H&R Supersports and 3-bolt Caster/Camber Kits with bumpsteer kit. Since I installed all the suspension parts I have a rattle in the front shock tower, the left does it a little but mostly on the right side...the noise sounds high in the tower. Has anyone ever had this problem before? It is bugging the crap out of me, every time I hit a bump and the suspension bounds it pops. I checked, double checked, and triple checked all the bolts, looked for rub spots on paint and cant come up with anything...SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, ITS DRIVING ME NUTS.
-Rattle
-High in the tower
- Bolts are tight
- Not rubbing

Sounds like it could be a bad bearing. The cheaper 3-bolt kits are notorious for this, although it happens to the best of them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet!!! That is what I was thinking, I just didnt know what else it could be, and the 3-bolt kit is nearly brand new. Do you have a suggestion for a good 4-bolt? I would spend a thousand dollars on a set right now just for that pop/rattle to go away!!! Thanks alot Blaine.

Also, is it normal for the cheaper 3-bolts to not correct the camber back to factory? The ones I got are still 2 degrees from center after pulling them all the way to the outside :-( 150 bucks down the drain.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sweet!!! That is what I was thinking, I just didnt know what else it could be, and the 3-bolt kit is nearly brand new. Do you have a suggestion for a good 4-bolt? I would spend a thousand dollars on a set right now just for that pop/rattle to go away!!! Thanks alot Blaine.

Also, is it normal for the cheaper 3-bolts to not correct the camber back to factory? The ones I got are still 2 degrees from center after pulling them all the way to the outside :-( 150 bucks down the drain.
Maximum Motorsports 4-bolt plates are by far the most recommended ones, and I would personally recommend them as I have a set (on my Fox) that have taken a beating and still work great. Every once in a while, even the MM ones have problems, but in my experience, at a much lower rate than the other brands.

And yes, I've heard of problems like yours with the cheaper 3-bolt plates fairly regularly. I would contact the manufacturer and see if they might give you a refund or replace them so you can sell a NEW set and buy some MM ones :D

Just to be clear, obviously I don't KNOW that the bearing is the problem, but it SOUNDS like that's probably the case :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, well either way your help is greatly appreciated!!! Ill give it a shot and post back the results! Thanks again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm having a similiar problem. I hear a thunk noise whenever I apply the brakes. It's coming from the front right side. Also when I turn the wheel either way a lot I can hear a strange noise. Not quite sure how to describe it, but I can feel the feedback through the steering wheel. I'm wondering if I failed to sufficiently tighten some bolts or maybe too tight or something...

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I just recently put MM caster/camber plates on and after the first test drive heard similar noises ... the thunking. Originally I thought it was the springs settling in which I had just put on at the same time. Come to find out after getting it back in the garage that the struts were too high and hitting the underside of the hood. The MM plates come with spacers which are easily adjusted from top to bottom and I fixed the problem.

Just maybe check this out before you go returning/replacing any parts, don't know if other brands use the same spacer system but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check your wiper washer fluid container. I had bad rattle it was the container, I'll explain. The container is held to the inner fender on the drivers side there is a weak point and the metal cracks. It was driving me nuts I fixed it and the car rides like a rock now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts