Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a suspension swap in my 1998 3.8L V6 so that my car can handle a v8. I am unsure what all this entails but would ordering a set of GT Springs and Shocks due the trick to beef it up or will there be more entailed in a suspension swap?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so far looking at getting GT Rear Shocks and Front Struts, possibly from Eibach, or H&R. Control Arms, Sub Frame Connectors, Strut Tower Braces, and a Sway bar. Will GT stuff bolt up to a v6 body? most of the stuff says for v8 and v6 of particular years, just want to make sure that i get the right stuff so I can do this motor swap.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
IMO
if you want adjustable shocks get tokico d-specs, if not get tokico hp's or kyb's for spring eibach and h&r are good, nut if you go anylower that about 1.5 inches your going to need Caster Camber plates. (which i would recomend any ways) also if you want all out go with something like the Maximum grip box from Maximum Motorsports.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok wow, MM has a lot of different boxes, no idea which one would be the right choice, or if I should just piece together the suspension system. i priced everything off of stangmods.com and it seemed much easier to price things from there. But since I am using a v6 as the original will i have to fabricate anything to make the GT equipment, or the stiffer equipment work? or will the aftermarket stuff for a v6 be sufficient to handle a v8. and are coil overs better that just a shock strut setup? This will be a Street/Strip car, mostly street fun, but some dragstrip action will be seen in the summer time.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
yes coilovers are a way better set up (for turns) ..but to get them to work you need new control arms, i think a k - member..
but if you just want a suspencion set up for street/ drag (strait line) ...i would suggset to get something like the street/strip box from MM

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
If you're talking about swapping in a V8, the two biggest thing you need to deal with are the rear end and the brakes. You need to swap in an 8.8" in place of your 7.5, and you need to upgrade to at least stock GT brakes up front.

Insofar as suspension, it really depends on what you're using the car for. If it's a cruiser or drag race car, you don't need any of the GT parts. Just keep your stock sixxer springs, swaybars, and shocks.

If it's a corner carver, that's a different story, and one that's covered in several other places on this site.

For the Maximum Motorsports boxes, get the most complete one you can afford.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plan for this car is a street/strip not daily driver, and in alaska being on the street does involve a lot of corners. I will drive the car mostly on the street, with some competition dragging at the Alaska Drag Strip. Would an 8.8" Rear End bolt in without modifications or will I need to modify housing. I might even be able to get a 9" Ford for it, talking to a friend right now. So my stock v6 springs shocks and struts will handle a v8?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
8.8", assuming it's from another Mustang, should bolt right in.

With your stock springs/shocks, the front end will lower a little bit, but it's not going to bottom out. My understanding is that a lot of budget drag racers will go to the foxbody 4-cylinder springs for this very reason. The next time you buy shocks you might want to grab GT units, but I wouldn't worry about it right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts