Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ii've decided to go with an NA mustang gt. And to be honest my knowledge of suspension is limited to this... lowering springs make it lower. So what i'm looking for is a suspension 101. I'm shopping for something that will make my car stiff and sturdy around turns, but something also that will get me down the strip as quickly as possible. Can anybody educate me?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Late Model Mustang Suspension Basics

this site might help you out as far as understanding how the suspension setup on a mustang works....
as far as the parts you want...shocks & struts, cc plates, lower stiffer springs, and lower control arms. that will turn your handling completely around, esp if your mustang is a Daily Driver

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, the first thing your going to want is springs and shocks. They compliment eachother so they will make a huge differance on body roll, stance, and launching. The issue is that, for handling you want stiff front springs, and for drag you want soft. But in general, people seem to just go with a basic spring and shock like some eibach prokit or H&R SS springs, and call it good. You want to make sure you match those springs with a high quality shock\strut as well. Like a bilstein or tokico. You may consider an adjustable since you want to do road and strip. Would allow you to adjust to either. The Tokico D Spec are the best adjustable.

Then, get a set of subframe connectors and a K member brace. Those things alone will make the car corner better, feel stiffer, and add to good times at the track as well as the strip. The Subframe on our car is in 2 pieces rather than one frame that runs the length of the car. The subframes connect the 2 making the frame in to 1 piece and there by eliminate chassis twist and bowing. This makes the rode more comfortable while adding a much more predictable handling aspect. While also giving better launches at the strip by keeping the rear end in line with the front. The K member brace then triangulates the K member to the Frame, adding to the effect.

The next thing I would recomend, is new control arms for the rear. The stock 4 link set up on our cars is terrible. It has 2 sets of arms trying to do 2 different things, but neither one of them dfirectly. The result is axle wind up when accelerating and axle bind when cornering. Aftermarket control arms make the axle housing wind up less as your tires connect and there for transfers your power to the road better. They also help to eliminate axle bind, which is what makes your back end wag and skip when cornering hard. A panhard bar would actually eliminate that all together by making the axle housing only move up and down rather then side to side but, the controll arms will help and the panhard is much more of a serious road course piece.

The last thing you would want to get in order to have good handling, but would not help you at the strip, would be sway bars. Stiffer sway bars make the car alot stiffer and handle better, but hinder the weight transfer on drag launches. Stiffer sway bars feel great on our cars, but they also hurt on the track. MM&FF still ran in the 9's with project Ice Box with new sway bars and everything, so they can't hurt you too bad.

Hope that helps. :rolleyes: :eek:

Get all that stuff, and your car will corner like a demon and launch like a roller coaster.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome, thanks allot for the help guys, i'm gonna keep this post for a while.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
springs,shocks,upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors, bumpsteer kits, and so on, those are good for starters

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
bumpsteer is not necessary for a car that isn't being lowered less than 2". Same with CC plates. They are only Required at or after 2" of drop in the front. You may want the CC plates, for added strength, but they are not required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts