Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 88 gt and i just got it im sure nothing has ben changed on it so what should I do/get and how much will it cost?

·
Registered
452 Posts
hey i have a 88 gt and i just got it im sure nothing has ben changed on it so what should I do/get and how much will it cost?
What are you goals? Lowering, handling, ride quality...

What is your use? Street, Auto-X, open track...

What is your budget? $300, $3000...

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
street and maybe lower it a tad and just w/e long as it rides good

budget not to high not over 800

im not doing it right now I will in the future i just want to know what to look at and im makin a list of what to get and do

·
Registered
452 Posts
street and maybe lower it a tad and just w/e long as it rides good

budget not to high not over 800

im not doing it right now I will in the future i just want to know what to look at and im makin a list of what to get and do
Well, for ~$800, here's what I'd do:

'03 Cobra Coupe struts (low-mile used): $125
Bilstein HD shocks: $150
Bullitt/Mach 1 Springs: $100
Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates: $175
Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors: $150

Total: $700 + labor

At one point or another, I've used all those parts, and I would recommend this setup for almost exactly what you're wanting. It'll ride and handle MUCH better than stock and it won't drop the car into the weeds.

Honestly, if you put all that stuff in at once, and you didn't know otherwise, you'd think it was a TOTALLY different car.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, for ~$800, here's what I'd do:

'03 Cobra Coupe struts (low-mile used): $125
Bilstein HD shocks: $150
Bullitt/Mach 1 Springs: $100
Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates: $175
Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors: $150

Total: $700 + labor

At one point or another, I've used all those parts, and I would recommend this setup for almost exactly what you're wanting. It'll ride and handle MUCH better than stock and it won't drop the car into the weeds.

Honestly, if you put all that stuff in at once, and you didn't know otherwise, you'd think it was a TOTALLY different car.
yeah thats exactly what will happen im doin it all at once =P ok that should make my fox alot better huh?''
Can you explain to me what the subframe connectors are for or what they do? I kind of know what the other stuff is but that just cacthes my attention

·
Registered
452 Posts
yeah thats exactly what will happen im doin it all at once =P ok that should make my fox alot better huh?''
Can you explain to me what the subframe connectors are for or what they do? I kind of know what the other stuff is but that just cacthes my attention
Yeah, if you put all that stuff on at once, the all-around improvement will be VERY noticeable... handling, ride, etc.

With regard to the subframe connectors, essentially Mustangs have a subframe in the front and a subframe in the back, each that holds the engine/suspension/etc for it's given end. However, there's virtually NOTHING structural between those two subframes, unless you consider sheetmetal structural :D. So, the car has an inordinate amount of flex that happens between the two subframes. You have probably figured out what "Subframe Connectors" are now, but just to be clear, they essentially connect the two subframes together and cut down considerably on that unwanted flex. Rather than be overly technical, let's talk real-world results. I JUST had mine installed on Saturday, and I could tell a difference the moment I SAT in the car. Not drove... SAT. It was that big of a difference. A lot of the rattles are minimized or gone, and the car is so much more solid and predictable under normal driving conditions AND when "testing out the suspension."

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats awsome man thanks!!! yeah I cant wait to get it done now lol but first I gotta fix the rust for now anyway and grab some new tires and then make sure she is solid and then the suspension is comin on but im gonna keep my eyes open for some of those things and if i see one cheap I'll just pick it up on the way =P hope it stops that damn raddle I cant seem to find anywhere on my car but its freakin loud

·
Registered
452 Posts
thats awsome man thanks!!! yeah I cant wait to get it done now lol but first I gotta fix the rust for now anyway and grab some new tires and then make sure she is solid and then the suspension is comin on but im gonna keep my eyes open for some of those things and if i see one cheap I'll just pick it up on the way =P hope it stops that damn raddle I cant seem to find anywhere on my car but its freakin loud
Yeah, I can't say the car won't rattle AT ALL anymore, but it was a significant improvement in my case. The SFC's just keep the car so much more solid. Now, there are several companies that make SFC's, but not all are created equal, so keep that in mind. I, of course, recommend Maximum Motorsports, but I've heard good things about some others as well.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
o im going with what you said no one here has steered me wrong yet so im good...

no im sure it will stop this rattling well maybe not I dont know where it is lol someone said it might be my cats cause im runnin to rich =| so I gotta look at it when it warms up its like 12 degrees here it sucks

hey if it turns out I have to do this little by little what would you suggest first Im kinda thinkin the SFC if it'll make her more solid

·
Registered
452 Posts
o im going with what you said no one here has steered me wrong yet so im good...

no im sure it will stop this rattling well maybe not I dont know where it is lol someone said it might be my cats cause im runnin to rich =| so I gotta look at it when it warms up its like 12 degrees here it sucks

hey if it turns out I have to do this little by little what would you suggest first Im kinda thinkin the SFC if it'll make her more solid
Yeah, I have heard many people recommend SFC's as the FIRST mod you do right after you buy a Mustang, and having done it twice, now, I have to agree... especially on a Fox. It improves virtually every aspect of driving the car by solidifying the whole structure.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
awsome now all I have to do is wire brush the rust off the bottom of the car and buy'm and have them put on

hey i typed that in Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors and i only saw 99 and up not 88...?

·
Registered
452 Posts
awsome now all I have to do is wire brush the rust off the bottom of the car and buy'm and have them put on

hey i typed that in Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors and i only saw 99 and up not 88...?
Here's the bare steel version for 79-93 at stangsuspension.com

MM Full Length Subframe Connectors Bare Steel - For 79-93 Mustangs - StangSuspension.com

They have good prices to begin with and EXCELLENT customer service (I've bought at least $1500 worth of stuff from them), plus, they offer discounts to members of several different forums as well. Not sure if this is one of them or not, though.

Make sure to get some installation quotes to find the best price, and make sure it's a reputable shop as well.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok I have asked around and really havnt gotten a real good rep shop what should I do? Ive asked some people at advance and auto etc and they all kind of collide

·
Registered
452 Posts
ok I have asked around and really havnt gotten a real good rep shop what should I do? Ive asked some people at advance and auto etc and they all kind of collide
I found the shop I use on a local Mustang forum and I stopped by to check it out.

I'd look around for a local forum or even the regional one here to figure out where to go.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks man its gonna cost about 150 shipped thats not bad at all

·
Registered
452 Posts
ok thanks man its gonna cost about 150 shipped thats not bad at all
Yeah, the installation will almost certainly be the bigger expense. Mine were the powdercoated ones, so they spent a LONG time grinding the powdercoating off the welding points, but they can take a while to install. That's why I say get quotes first, and preferrably a place that has done SFC's before so they know what they're getting into.

BTW, after it's all installed, you'll want to go back under and spray it all with a layer or two of paint to avoid repeating what you're doing now :D

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any kind of paint or special paint sorry im newbish

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok i'll just paint her black lol good color 2 maybe 3 layers =P spray matter or like brush?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts