Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tired searching a long with reading the S197 suspension sticky. Is there a good web site somewhere that will explain suspension settings.

I understand piñon angle and all but how can I learn which way to adjust lower control arms, sway bar, shocks, etc.

I work for months on end and can't go to the track weekly to test the different settings.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is not a bad idea. Every suspicion piece is BMR besides the Viking shocks. Although it would be an extremely long phone call. I'd like to find a website that lists if x happens do this, etc.

·
Turbo > blower
13,867 Posts
You could lurk S197Forum, Kelly has some very informative posts over there about suspension and what'll happen if you do this and that. it takes a bit of searching but theres a wealth of good information over there

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
I would agree with others, what specifically are you trying to learn? I thought I did a good job of explaining the settings in the suspension sticky but if there is something that doesn't make sense or you can tell us what you are trying to do, I might be able to assist.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sticky just gives an explanation of the part. Along with the AM link.

I guess it is hard to explain what I am trying to accomplish.

I got the lca with relocation brackets down. Basically trying to find out if the car does X on launch what to adjust in the suspension settings.

Right now, the only adjustable suspension I have are panhard( I understand how that works) and Viking double adjustable. Vikings paper work says my car should be 0-4 c/r and I found that 2/2 works best for me. This is after four months of trial ( not able to make it to the track often).

I really just want to get the suspension set up before going to the track to avoid the issue I had with the shocks. I'm rarely home with work and one day to make it to the track and only 1-3 runs a visit. I know just by reading I won't get it 100% but I would like to read/learn what effects does X and do Y to help.

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

I guess an example would be how do I now what the a arm or struts adjustability is/does. How would I be able to tell if the lca needs to be shortened or lengthened etc. I searched BMRs tech section and only found install pages.

I don't want to redo suspension for the adjustability if I do not know what does what.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
The sticky just gives an explanation of the part. Along with the AM link.

I guess it is hard to explain what I am trying to accomplish.

I got the lca with relocation brackets down. Basically trying to find out if the car does X on launch what to adjust in the suspension settings.

Right now, the only adjustable suspension I have are panhard( I understand how that works) and Viking double adjustable. Vikings paper work says my car should be 0-4 c/r and I found that 2/2 works best for me. This is after four months of trial ( not able to make it to the track often).

I really just want to get the suspension set up before going to the track to avoid the issue I had with the shocks. I'm rarely home with work and one day to make it to the track and only 1-3 runs a visit. I know just by reading I won't get it 100% but I would like to read/learn what effects does X and do Y to help.

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

I guess an example would be how do I now what the a arm or struts adjustability is/does. How would I be able to tell if the lca needs to be shortened or lengthened etc. I searched BMRs tech section and only found install pages.

I don't want to redo suspension for the adjustability if I do not know what does what.
A-Arm adjustability, as in BMR's front A-Arm with the spherical that is threaded? That isn't so much an adjustment as a necessity for ensuring the front control arm bolts are in line with the peg for the rear mount. Can you adjust it some, sure, by shortening the link you will move the ball joint forward and in. This will increase caster at the expense of static camber.

Struts, well compression and rebound works the same regardless of what end of the car the damper is on. Compression controls how the damper compresses, rebound how it extends. The practical expansion of this is that compression controls how weight transfers to that end of the car and rebound controls how it transfers away from that end of the car.

·
Lets be real
213 Posts
If I am getting this right, Cabikejumper, is looking more rear setup specifics for drag launches. Front control arms aren't the issue. Ideally adjustable Uppers and Lowers with rear adjustable panhard bar help to better position the rear axle under load/launch to keep the car straight. I am in the same boat, I have yet to see any really in depth DRAG Suspension information, typically it sounds like this: Remove the front sway bar and get some vikings and launch at 5k, kind of sh!t. Not bashing at all but, What is the way to properly set up my car for drag launches, maximizing the weight transfer and allowing for the car to go straight? I hope this helps the OP get the answer hes looking for.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still doesn't answer what I'm wondering.

Adj lower and control arms. Are those only to dial in piñon angle? Nothing more?

Say the pinon is set correctly. And I'm having issues with launch or X. How would the adjustability of the suspension work. I know I am not wording this right.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Adjustable LCAs allow you to set wheelbase or pinion angle. Longer wheelbase = more stable car. I usually don't recommend adjusting pinion angle with LCAs, because it can throw your wheelbase off.

The UCA can be used for adjusting pinion angle. Pinion angle will not affect your launch, it's just to prevent driveline vibrations.

What launch issues are you having?

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not having any issues, yet. All my BMR stuff is non adjustable beside the PHB. I just wasn't sure how or when to adjust LCAs. If 'X' happens on launch bring lca in/out etc. I wanted to read up and learn about the adjustability before I spent the money on buying adjustable BMR stuff. And before I spend the money on a ARB

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Most people will never end up needing adjustable LCAs. If your thrust angle and wheelbase are within spec, then there isn't really a need for adjustable. If you're planning on making big power with the car, you may want to consider a set of our TCA020. They're spherical, adjustable LCAs and are better suited to higher HP cars than poly bushed LCAs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts