Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 mustang gt. About a year ago I replaced the struts and shocks did the C/C Plates alingment and all. I have a little problem though, everytime I hit a street patch or a bump, it feels like my car slips or it pulls to one side. its slight but enought to feel it, instead of goin over it smoothly, if its a common suspesion issue where might the problem be, if anyone knows what im talkin about please help I need to fix this..

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is old, but if you changed the camber settings at all, either through the camber kit, or from lowering the car at all, then you should probably invest in a bump-steer kit. As the suspension travel changes over bumps and potholes, the wheel camber changes rotating on the A-arm. As the camber changes, the distance from steering rack to tie rod end changes. To a certain extreme, the steering system is eating up the change in distance, but it can only handle so much, and is set to the factory ride height with the factory camber settings(keep in mind the steering tie rod end links to the wheel below and forward of the ball joint). so if you stray from factory settings the steering system is already stretching itself in a way. A bump steer kit is basically an adjustable tie rod end that allows you to both change the angle the tie rod sits at, and the length through spacers, making the tie rods sit comfortably in relation to the new wheel camber and location. When I lowered my mustang, there was a lot of negative camber...and so as the lower half of the wheel moved out, the tie rods pulled the fronts of the wheel in, basically giving me a lot of toe-in. And when I hit bumps, it would be even worse. Bump steer kit from steeda fixed it all up. Also makes the front end give much more accurate feedback in corners. Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts