Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently installing these and I imagined that the bars would be flush with the frame...I have a jack under the front of the bar so it sits flush with the sub-frame and the rear of the bar hangs about two inches below the rear sub-frame. I can push it up when I am ready to weld, but wouldn't this cause tension (kind of like a leaf spring)? Not sure if this is normal or not. Anyone ever had to deal with this?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Sub-frame connectors do not sit flush....you'll have an angle from the front front frame to the rear...normal

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Sometimes they need a little "bending " with a hammer. That's why they ship the reinforcement plates for the bent part separate to be welded on last.

Go read the maximum motorsports installation instructions they are very detailed with pics.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i had jack stands under the axle and the front was on ramps. Got it all welded up just now but i have to get some other stuff done before i take it for a ride. If for some chance its not properly installed what might i notice when driving it?

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
The frame is going to stay in whatever position it was in when they were welded on, which is why your supposed to load the suspension by using a drive on lift.

I would imagine the car wouldn't want to drive straight if you messed something up badly but I'm not entirely sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured the jacks under the axle would simulate the tires being on the ground...am i wrong? i hope not because this will be a nightmare trying to cut the welds.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
if the chassis is in a bind when you weld the connectors on it is going to stay that way. if you used ramps in the front and two jack stands in the rear you should be ok but a drive on lift is preferred.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The drivers side was only about a quarter inch low in the rear after i had front bar flush on the frame.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input...i just had it aligned before i stuck these on, so it should be pretty easy to notice if its not right then.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometimes they need a little "bending " with a hammer. That's why they ship the reinforcement plates for the bent part separate to be welded on last.

Go read the maximum motorsports installation instructions they are very detailed with pics.

I really wish those instructions would have came with the ones that I purchased...they explained pretty much every issue and question I had.

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
How would you say the install was? I've been looking more and more into them and considering making them my next mod.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now I can tell you that working on anything that you need to be laying on your back/side for extended periods is a real pain in the neck...literally, I have pains in my neck today. Although, I am usually sitting in front of a computer all day, so this is out of the norm for me. All in all it was easy, just time consuming. I did disconnect the rear muffler to make things easier (just let it hang there). It seems like I spent more time trying to get into a safe position to do the welding. If it turns out that I need to reinstall them, then I am going to have a different opinion on it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i would be very surprised if you had to remove these and although it is best to use a drive on lift, the important thing is to have all four corners supported equally, which you did, so i don't think you need to be overly concerned. i didn't mean to put doubt in your mind, it sounds like you did it properly and i don't believe you are going to have any issues.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reassurance...no disrespect, but you should see about getting some better instructions sent out with these. They seem to be lacking some details...but then again they were less expensive than any others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts